Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Korg D1600 and other multitracks

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by glocke1, Jun 18, 2002.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio
    I am looking for a semi portable multtrack recorder to record the different bands I am in, and also as a scratch pad for my own ideas...these bands range from 4 4 piece and 6-7 piece rock to 15 piece swing bands....

How does the d1600 compare to other brands by tascam, fostex, etc...?

Would I be better off going with a different set-up? like pc based (laptop) system?

I know very little about these newer models on the market, my only experience with home recording is using the 4 track systems like the tascam 424 mk II, so any helo, inpout would be appreciated...

thanks!!

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I own a D1600 and have tried about every multitrack out there and can say with out a doubt, the Korg is the best thing going. With its touch screen operation its extremely easy to use and it sounds great. Every member in my band owns one and we get great results. I would definitely go the route of a self contained multitrack than a laptop. The laptop with the softwear and all the input modules you would need would be much more expensive. In the range of $2300 and under the Korg is the best.

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I own a Fostex vf-16. I really like it and it is very useful. The beefed up version of the vf-16....the vf-160 is the equivalent of the Korg d1600. It has the same sized hard drive and a cd burner. It does not have a touch screen, but that is not really a neccesity. The fostex has a lot of useful features...such as 2 built in effects processors and sound good outputs such as adat, s/pdif and scsi.
    One problem that they both seem to have is that they can only record 8 tracks simotaneously so recording a 15 piece swing band live could be a problem. hehe....
    also keep this in mind...the fostex is $300 less then the korg.
    I hope this helps out!

here check out this site www.vf16.com

4. i have the d12 and its great. the effects leave little to be desired, and the quality is great.