Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Korg DT-7/Boss TU-2 Tuner - Will they work with a 5 string?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 98dvl, Mar 18, 2002.

1. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    Does anyone have one of these Tuners?

I'm trying to find a good tuner for my bass. Right now, I'm tossing up the Korg DT-7 and the Boss TU-2.

The DT-7 is a little cheaper, and I hear it's as good as a rack mount tuner. I like the fact that the Boss TU-2 is a stomp box type tuner, but, I can easily plug the DT-7 into my headphones jack to tune on my Carvin R1000 amp.

Anyway, my question is whether or not the DT-7 (or the Boss TU-2 for that matter) will work with a five string bass?

Anyone have any opinions on either model? Should I just get one of those cheapie $12 Korg tuners???

Brent

2. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    I can't say enough good things about a TU-2. They're fast, accurate, silent (some tuners click as they tune)you can see them in daylight without bending down, you can plug into the bypass out jack so that they're permanently on whilst you're playing (so you can correct mid song if need be), you can set them to "centre" mode (like a standard tuner) or "stream" (whizzy, pretty and some say more accurate. Gives your drummer something to watch anyway).They can power othe pedals with a daisey chain. But the BEST part! There's a display mode where it flashes, whizzes and spells: b o s s t U - 2!!! :D

Oh yeah, tunes the low B of my Washburn XB-600 no problems. (see the post on stroboscopic tuners)

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I finally broke down and bought a Boss TU-2 for practice (there's a Korg DTR-1 in my stage rack). One word ... bitchen. It grabs the B with no hesitation, and lights up like a doggone Xmas tree. H. Judas Priest, man, it is visible, and it even works! I'd say Boss, definitely (notice correct spelling of definitely).

4. I've been using my TU-2 w/ a 5'er for a year. I've conivinced 4-5 different people to get one also.

You should get one too (Working on number 6)