Korg DTR-1000 tuner: locking in?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dfarr, Mar 25, 2004.

1. dfarr

Feb 9, 2001
    Lakeland, FL
    I recently bought a new Korg DTR-1000 rack tuner. When tuning, the green "in tune" LED never locks in on the note. When I first hit a note, say the open G string, the LED typically indicates sharp, then as the note sustains and falls off, the LED goes green, then eventually shows flat. Hit the string hard, it shows sharp. Hit the string lightly, it indicates flat. In other words, the LED indicator changes as the string volume changes. Is this common with the DTR tuners, or could I have a problem with my tuner?
  2. Mine is lame like that too. I use "Kentucky windage" and hope for the best. Does yours also read wrong notes consistently?
  3. dfarr

Feb 9, 2001
    Lakeland, FL
    No problem with wrong notes, just won't lock in. I've checked it with a pedal tuner (which locks in beautifully, by the way), so my "Kentucky windage" is somewhat researched. But it's still aggravating.
  4. I've checked mine against my Boss TU-2 and TU-12, and it's always a bit off. Here's where it gets interesting. The Korg's sensitivity is supposed to be much better than either of the Boss'. So in effect, checking the better tuner with the "worse" tuner should be counter productive (or something like that), but the Boss' have always been right or right in the neighborhood, unlike the more sensitive Korg.

If I didn't totally dig the Cylon or Kit look of the thing, I'd totally do what that one dude did, mount the face and guts from a TU-2 to a rack panel. You know, that one dude...
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Funny stuff!
    I sold mine a few years back; I couldn't take it anymore!
  6. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    I think there is a physical reason the note gets more sharp the harder you pluck the string. I have seen the same thing with many tuners, from cheapies to expensive units.
  7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    If you hit the string hard, you are creating a tension spike, making it go sharp. There's nothing wrong with your tuner. I generally pluck very lightly when tuning.
  8. My Korg rack tuner is the same way... incidentally, it seems to lock in with guitar a bit better. I'm undecided on whether this means it's super sensitive or not very good.

When I really take the time to move the tuning pegs ever so slowly it'll lock in, but I usually go with the 'close enough' approach for live sound. I use a cheapy when I'm setting intonation because it would be a nightmare with the Korg.
  9. That's why I don't like using more expensive tuners. Every note you play starts off sharper and goes flat, and it starts off more sharp the harder you play. Cheapies aren't affected by this as much though because they're less sensitive, and will generally lock in on green or red more easily. Tim's got the right idea with plucking softly while tuning, but it helps if that's your normal style. If you tune with soft plucking and you pluck hard while playing, you'll just end up playing everything a little bit sharp.
  10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    My Korg DTR-1 doesn't have that problem. It'll start off sharp if I pluck hard, but it comes down and locks in.