Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

KORG DTR2 Rack Tuner help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gruuv247, Nov 30, 2002.

1. gruuv247

gruuv247 Guest

Sep 18, 2002
    Burlington, NC
    Have this rack tuner and don't understand what this calibration button is for. The tuner works well but it never really lands solid in "green". always flickers right to left. I've seen other musiicians use this tuner and theres seems to land solid. Is it something to do with that CALIB button?:confused:

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Take it out of "Strobe" mode.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Ooops. I was thinking DTR-1. Never mind.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The "calib" button is used for calibrating the tuner. The tuner is setup so that you can tune to 440Hz, the standard. However, if you were in a situation, such as playing with a keyboardist who has a keyboard who's slightly out of tune, you could re-calibrate your tuner to be as out-of-tune as the keyboardist. Then, you just tune up as normal and everybody will be as out of tune as each other, making it sound like everybody's IN tune.:cool:

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    On mine, hitting the "calib" button once moves the frequency from 440 to 441. Hit it again, it goes up to 442, and so on, until 445. Then, hit it again, and it goes to 438, then 439, and back to 440.

IIRC, there's a simpler way to restore factory settings (440 Hz), such as unplugging the unit or something. But, it's really not a difficult feature, and I agree...it's very cool!;)

6. KrazzyJoe

KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Oregon.
    Hey, I just bought this tuner and it seems a little hokey. I hit the E string and it shows E than it goes a little above the green light than shoots down and I have to hit the E a bunch more times before it goes back up so I can try and get it in the green again. I must be doing something wrong, I could easily tune myself quicker than it takes me to tune with this.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I don't understand the problem with this tuner...I've been using one for over 10 years without any difficulty with a variety of different basses. I've used this in my rack onstage in hundreds of clubs and every practice, etc. I even use it to check my intonation.

It's pretty smooth and easy to follow. The LEDs light in various levels of brightness depending on how 'on' you are, and when you hit green you're good to go.

For those who are having a problem with the light bouncing around, It sounds like maybe you're not feeding it enough signal...make sure you have your bass volume turned up. Also, as your note decays, it will 'fall' away from accurate, but pretty much every tuner I've used does this. I don't find that it does this very quickly, and I can usually tune each string with one note.

I usually tune one 'notch' sharp, then once my strings warm up I'm dead on.

8. KrazzyJoe

KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Oregon.
    Maybe I just need to get the hang of it.

9. It seems very sensitive to me, I usually can't get it to hold on green only. I go for green and a flicker of red on one side, make sure all the other strings get the flicker of red on the same side. I just hope its the note thats really shifting around and not the tuner. But I don't see how the note would shift pitch on its own.

Randy