Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Korg G5 or Akai Deep Impact

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gillento, Nov 16, 2005.

1. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Hi, I am looking for the best synth pedal. People seem to favor the Korg G5 or the Akai Deep Impact.
    So what? Anyone know both?

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I've owned both. I liked the Deep Impact better for a number of reasons.

In terms of sound they're very equally matched. Both have some great sounds that the other does not, but where the sound palette overlaps, they are equally good.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've owned both. I prefer the Akai because I found it more usable live.
    Hard to say which is better.

4. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    I've go the Akai and it's a pretty good machine.
    Curious to hear the G5 though...

5. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've owned both, and the G5 is my fav, hands-down. I've posted some fuller comments on this in previous threads, so you may wanna do a search on my handle and "G5", but basically I find the G5 sound to be "analog-ish", while the Deep Impact was very "digital-ish" to my ears.

Also preferred the dynamics + touch-sensitivity of the G5, whereas many (maybe all, don't recall offhand) settings on the Deep Impact seemed to yield a single, fixed output (or close to it) regardless of how hard/soft I played, which definitely bugged me.

6. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    No contest - the Deep Impact is big red and shiny with curved edges and two big metal switches that give a satisfying crunch. The Korg is a dirty sand colour with plastic pads that feels like it'll break.

Both have good sounds. The G5 has a crappy tonesucking bypass mode- most players use it in a loop. The SB1 is "true bypass"(si?)

The g5 has an expression out option for controlling the filter- very cool. The SB1 can only rotate it's nine patches upwards (or down if you get a foot switch) With the G5 you can select the patch from the bank you like.
    The SB1 has a dead simple interface.

Both are good- neither are perfect.
    Both are now absurdly overpriced.
    We're still waiting for that perfect synth pedal. :confused:

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you bought it on sales for 99, the Akai is pretty much perfect. :)

8. I have `em both. Akai has very cool sounds but it`s more pop/funk and 80`s/90`s sounding to my ears. G5 has darker, more aggressive and scarier sounds IMO. It sounds more 70`s mono synth to my ears. I prefer G5, although it`s big and ugly and needs loooper for decent bypass.

9. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I got hold of both units, thanks to ebay.
    I must say that I like the sound of the G5 better. The tracking seems better and editing seems to provide a greater variety of sounds.
    So I have to cluster my pedalboard with the huge plastic casing of the Korg plus a Lehle Loooper....
    Or did I miss something with the editing possibilities of the Deep Impact?

10. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    The only think that I dislike about the SB-1 is the tracking...

11. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    What you choose of this two is a matter of taste, I prefer the Akai cause IMO it tracks better, and I can a cool 70`s sound