Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Korg G5 owners : Expression pedal question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Raman, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    I was wondering about the expression pedal :
    According to the answer I got from an email to Korg, I should use the EXP2.

Will this pedal be of any use outside of the G5 ?
    As in, can I use it as a volume pedal ?
    My guess is not, since it's a keyboard pedal. And I can't find anything on the net that suggests otherwise. But I thought I'd ask.

And are there options other than the EXP2 (or the other 2 discontinued pedals mentionned in the G5 manual) ?

Thanks.

2. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    One more question :
    How do I connect the EXP2 to the G5 ? (Do I only need 1 jack that goes from the volume pedal to the the synth, or 2 jacks to loop it ?)

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've been told that the EB volume pedal works w/ the G5. That makes me think that other volume pedals could work w/ it too, so I've been looking for an inexpensive one.

4. I just use my EB, works great? I guess this means any volume pedal might do but I don't know the diff between the "low impedance" and the "high" ones so maybe check into that? A 1/4" cable from either the input or ouput jacks (one but not the other...don't remember which) get's you goin'. Controls the _sensitivity_ of the sweeep, not just the sweep itself which is what set's the unit apart for me.

5. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    So an "EB volume pedal" works, right ?

Next question then : What is "EB" ?

6. EB= Ernie Ball.
    My point was that ANY volume pedal should work provided you plug it into the correct jack...so, no worries pal.

7. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    thanx

8. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Great, I've found an EB volume pedal in the local classifieds for 1/2 the price I was about to buy the Korg one for. :)

Anybody ever compared them at all ?

9. Don't get an EB just cuz I said so or anything....those units are far from a deal, much cheaper volume pedals to be had i am sure? The EB's are very cool and built to last, deluxe, but you don't need them.

10. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    But I want to do everything you say... :(

;)

Of course not.
    It just happens that I had second thoughts about the Korg pedal 'cause I don't think I can use it for anything else; not even as a simple volume for the bass.
    I've been reading about the EB, and it sounds good and solid.

Now, unless I start going around stores carrying the G5 to test it out with different volume pedals, a cheap used EB in the ads, given your and other good reviews, does seem like a good alternative.
    I'll try to test both these options first for sure though.

11. Well, heck if you can afford it go for it! That thing will outlasy yer grandkids easily(!) I kinda thought about whether or not a _stereo_ EB might be an option? This way, I could wire up the single pedal to control TWO different c/v inputs? I have an FM-4 that needs one as well...two birds with one stone you know?

12. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    65$ cdn seems reasonable for me, if indeed it is in perfect condition as the owner states.
    If not, I was about to shed 110$ for the EXP2...

I guess your stereo pedal idea could work... I don't see why not.
    (Imagine now having two c/v controlled effects going in parallel--or maybe using it as a simple volume for one effect and as a filter for the G5--and controlling both at the same time... I'm sure there'd be applications. Definitely weird ones though. :eek: )

13. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    One more question : I have a hard time figuring out what you mean when you say the pedal controls the "sensitivity of the sweep", as opposed to the sweep itself.
    And I must admit I found the G5 booklet somewhat obscure on that chapter.

Does that mean the pedal controls how fast the sweep comes back ? (As when you turn the "decay" knob from left to right.)
    I don't see much interest in that. Some, but not much.
    Then, if I understand right, you wouldn't be able to attack with the filter opened up : Only make it open real quick after you pluck the note.

What I'd pictured was controlling the frequ. filter, making the pedal opening up from lo-pass... (Like a wah.)

14. By far the SINGLE most useful feature of anyone of my extensive pedal collection.

15. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    But that doesn't really answer my question at all... :(
    -Does it control the sweep, or the sweep's speed ?

Also : A few more reviews I read mentioned that the EB volume pedal cuts the high frequencies. (But they were all reviews from guitarists...)
    Anybody ever noticed any tone loss when using it as a simple volume pedal ?

16. Ok, maybe some language thing here. NOT A WAH, LIKE THE DECAY KNOB OF A FILTER. Just as you said, just as I confirmed. With a wah there'd be NO sweep until you move yer foot (yawn.) My love affair with filters comes from there interactiveness and the interplay between the musician and the box; a step above just telling the pedal what sound to make and turning it on or off. The sweep will be there either in a BIG way or wee one. You'll figure it out.
    in this set-up you are using the volume pedal (ANY vol.pedal, no matter the brand) to control a parameter of your box just like the control voltagte input on any synth SO....no signal (as far as i know) goes through the pedal so NO affect on tone is even possible.
    Great box, enjoy.

17. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    (Hope people read refried threads...)

Ok, so I got the Korg expression pedal after all. And, frankly, I'm not impressed. :(
    It does the job, I guess. But it doesn't offer much control. Some, but not as much as I expected.

Especially, when I dial in patch # 9 - the one that's only a control for the filter - I can barely hear any difference pushing the pedal from one end to the other.
    I'd expected to get at least reasonable lo/hi-pass filter control. But it goes more from lo to slightly less lo.
    And that's no matter how I set it.

How is it for you guys ?
    Just wondering if it's Korg's pedal that's crappy. :(

18. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I just got a vintage Morley volume pedal and it does not work as a G5 expression pedal.

19. I used to use a $25 Bespeco volume pedal. I used a Y Cord and plugged both outputs into the controller input of the G5 and it worked beautifully...

L

20. My EB volume pedal works with the Korg f/c plugged into the OUTPUT of the EB but not the INPUT so any with issues maybe try that? The f/c only allows you to control the DECAY I believe.