Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Korg G5 vs. Akai deep impact

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lowendgrumble, May 2, 2003.

1. lowendgrumble

lowendgrumble

Apr 13, 2003
    Chicago, il
    Just wondering if anyone had any opinions on either of these pedals. More specificly, what are each of there plus' and minuses. Has anybody used both of them?

C

2. I still think the G5 to be the coolest bass synth ever. If for no other reason than the ability to tweak the sensitivity on the fly with a volume pedal plugged into the FC input. Sounds massive and thick. 9 preset locations too....

[​IMG]

3. Meh, I have an Akai Deep Impact and it sounds pretty cool and there's allot of contrast between the different oscillators. My favorite sound is this grinding sub bass octave, low resonance and cutoff makes it sound like a sub woofer pushing at maximum volume. It also has different applications and great tracking, the bright synth and hot space oscillators get great trance "groove box" sounds with you hit the upper frets. Sounds great with a phasor and delay. The only thing I'd say is a draw back to this effect is it doesn't handle slap bass and the sounds are all hifi and there aren't any juicy distorted filter sounds, but you can use a distortion before it to simulate that and that still creates some tracking errors.

4. Reverend Duke

Reverend Duke

Apr 3, 2003
    I guess it depends if you just want the neat sound or to actually have a fully controllable synth. I concur about the volume pedal; it adds a whole new dimension.

I'm working on getting another one. I sold mine during some bad times a couple years ago...

:bawl:

5. I bought mine new about 8 years ago. My G5 cost around $450 USD which is a FAT amount of coin. they sell now for around $225 which is a major score IMO.
    The ability to control the sensitivity of the filter is probably one of THE most important features for me now, on any of my EV filters. I don't mean like a wah, controlling the sweep manually. I even stuck an over-sized stereo knob on the depth control of my Mutron so that I could tweak it with my toe live. This offers me a wide range of flexibility in my playing styles. I HATE "attack" knobs as they seem to rob me of my dynamics.

6. lowendgrumble

lowendgrumble

Apr 13, 2003
    Chicago, il
    Will any type volume pedal work, like the ernie ball? And what pararmeters are there to adjust? Is it like the moogerfooger where each is adjustable??

C

7. I use an EB with mine. the only thing adjusted is just what I mentioned; the sensitivity.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I prefer the deep impact.
    The G5 starts showing its age.

The Akai tracks better and is ballsier. It also has a true bypass and preserves your clean sound.
    The G5 is more versatile and offers stranger sounds.

9. wasn't there some question about whether or not that whole line of Akai boxes were _actually_ true bypass? I remember that discussion from somewhere. the G5 certainly isn't true bypass, that's true. It was noticeable enough for me that B4 I wired up my Morgan Miller three-loop bypass box I went so far as to unplug the G5 between songs.
    Don't have an issue with tracking thanks to the input and output level controls; wish my FM4 had this. I use my Alembi-Wick as my main bass but whenever I play my Thumb5 it does seem to have an issue tracking the G-string. Don't know about the ballsier thing....interesting.

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The G5 tracks fine, but the Akai is better.
    Both the Unibass and the Deep Impact have electronic switching bypasses.