1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Korg G5

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by uncle, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Hi,

I know there's been said a lot about bass synths but I have one more question. I play in a' 70s and 80's disco revival band and I'm looking to by a bass synth (I already own a Syb-5 but this pedal doesn't do the job) to use on stage. I know a Korg G5 bass synth for sale, but I don't know much about this pedal. I don't know if I should by this G5 or if I should wait untill another Akai Deep impact apears on ebay!
    For example : are the sounds of the G5 as good (usefull) as these of the Deep impact, are these pedals true bypass?
    I can't find much about the G5 on the internet, and because both the G5 and the deep impact are no longer in production and both are very expensive on the internet these day's, maybe one you, who has experience with these pedals, can help me with the question if I should go for the G5 now I have the chance or wait untill another Deep Impact show's up.

Thanks!
    Dirk

2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I've used the G5 and the Deep Impact, and they both sound great, but the G5 sounds less digital to my ears. It also tracked a lot better for me than the Deep Impact (YMMV). On the other hand, the bypass on the G5 absolutely bites, and you will want to invest in a loop box to bypass it.

Just my .02, hope it helped.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  4. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    If you get the G5 and don't get a manual with it, let me know. I could photocopy mine for you. You'll need it.

G5s sound great, by the way.

Jeff

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

6. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    +1, though in my own experience I didn't care for the Deep Impact much, mostly due to the digital nature of the sound to my ears... but plenty o' people like it, so try to play one first.

7. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Hi,
    I owned both units. I also prefer the G5: the sounds are much more "playable", great tracking.....There are 2 drawbacks: the G5 takes a lot of space on the pedalboard. The Bypass sounds crappy. Get a loooper!