Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Korg or Roland?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Ichi9, Mar 1, 2001.

1. Ichi9

Ichi9

Jun 7, 2000
    Hello,

I am looking to purchase a hard disk recorder, and I am currently looking at the Korg D1600 or the Roland VS-890. Any opinions or suggestions on other options would be very helpful. Thanks.

2. I have no experience with the Korg stuff, but I can tell you that the Roland stuff is very nice. I've used the 1680 and now, the 1880. We like it so much we just might move up to a 2480.

There are a lot of Roland users out there who can give you advice. Check out the VS Planet website. You'll probably find comparisons to the Korg machines there.
    http://www.vsplanet.com

Brian

3. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Something else to check out (if you can get your hands on it) is the new Alesis HD24. Street price of $2000, 24 tracks, 24 bit with a 96Khz upgrade "coming". It stores on IDE HDs in removable bays so adding storage is MUCH cheaper than on SCSI-based systems. And it has built in ethernet so that you can just hook up a cheap LAN between it and your PC or Mac to transfer tracks to the computer for editing/mixdown.

Drawbacks? The technology is new and unproven outside Alesis' labs (although the Alesis techs who've spoken out on it have expressed an astonishing level of confidence in their work); because it's so cool AND cheap, I would guess that finding one in stock might be a challenge.

4. the guitar player i record with bought a korg d1600, i think it was about $1100.

he bought it a month ago, won't stop talking about how great it is, and to me the thing records very well. has a nice size screen which some of the others lack.

whoops have to edit this, the guitar player has a korg D16 not a D1600. sorry

it is still a real nice recorder. :)

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I recently, after a ton of research purchased a Korg D16. These are some of the things that helped with my decision:

The D16 gives you uncompressed tracks, the Roland uses cmpression/the D16 is loaded with some pretty cool effects, the Roland you have to dump around 700$ more for the same amount (some people say the quality of the Roland effects are way better, but the D16 effects sound pretty damn good to me). I love the portability of the D16 - I can take it to work with me and mess around during my free time. I can take it to bed with me. I like the touch screen and it seemed a little more user friendly than the Roland. AND of course the deciding factor was the price. I got so much more for so much less with the D16.

The only thing I'm a little bummed about is there really isn't much support for the D16 and there's tons of support for Roland gear. I joined a D16 E-Group, but it seemed people weren't very willing to help me with some prettty simple questions. I'm considering rejoining the group with a user name like, well lets say "GothBarbie" would be a great one (I wouldn't use that prticualar name course). I hate to say it but I noticed names like that get much more of a response than names like "Joe Nerve". Go figure :p.

6. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I own 2 Roland machines,a VS880EX and a VSR880.which is the Rack version.To be fair,Roland's learning curve is pretty steep especially if you are a total recording newbie,but if you hang in there,the machines have pretty awesome capability,one example of which is Automix,which doesn't require an external sequencer and gives the patient user practically the same mixing capability as an automated board,including FX and EQ changes.You should know that although most of the recording modes on the VS machines do indeed implement a lossy compression scheme called RDAC,it IS possible to record linear audio on these machines(MAS mode),and I use only this mode and think it sounds really good.I've been running my EX for 2 years now and experienced 0 crashes,and I just got the VSR in January but so far boobies up.

7. yea the guitar player i play with said the same things about the support, he even called Korg and the techs were very demeaning.

if you rejoin the forum i would suggest a username like susy_gotalargechest :D