1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Korg Pitchblack Issue

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by g00eY, Jan 21, 2012.

1. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I bought a used Pitchblack off eBay, but I'm having a bit of trouble with it. I'm using a 1spot power adapter, and when I plug in my 1/4" cable I get a 0 that flashes a couple times. When I hit the switch, I get a solid red light right above the switch. Seems about right.

But then when I play any open string, all I see is either a B or an A# on the tuner, as if it's not registering any real input from my bass. If I turn the volume knob on my bass all the way off, I'm back to just the red light above the switch.

Does anyone know what the issue may be? Am I doing something stupidly wrong? Do I need a new battery for my bass (EBMM SR5)?

2. You might have just found out why it was for sale.

3. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    :(

I hope that's not the case. I believe I would be protected by eBay's buyer protection but it sure is a hassle.

The tuner itself looks pristine. I'm not sure what would cause this so I'm wondering if I'm doing something glaringly wrong on my end.

4. Lark

Lark

Aug 19, 2011
    Try using a battery instead of powering it with an adapter. I found that this made mine more responsive.

Also, try changing the calibration on the pedal. Have you tried this? On the top of the pedal next to the display button is the "calib." button. Press it to calibrate, I found "6" works best for me.

If that doesn't work, then I'm not sure...

5. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I tried using a battery and calibration 6, but now nothing shows up at all when I try to tune. Just the solid red light.

6. RawOrange

RawOrange Not really an orange Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Southeast Wisconsin
    Does the bass work normally when just going through the amp? It sounds like it might be a cord issue. My Pitchblack typically registers a "B" when it is just getting hum from the cord.

7. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I don't have an amp in my dorm room, but when I played a set last Tuesday night and the bass worked fine (same cable I'm using now). I tried another cable, too, but I get the same results.

I might go over to a friend's place tonight and see if the pedal works with the guitar.

8. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I had a brand new one that I sent back to MF ( it only worked when it felt like it with an adapter) , the one I have now is working fine, however I am certain these have issues. +1 on using a battery to test it out. Good luck ....:)

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

What you experience is the typical result of 60 Hz cycle hum. A#/B are a bit under and above 60 Hz. In Europe we get a G at 50 Hz.
    It means that there is a loop somewhere in your circuit. It could be the tuner that has a bad ground solder on the circuit but it could be anything else.
    Amp, power supply, pedal board, bad domestic circuit.
    Try it with just a battery and a bass as suggested, then start looking for issues. Add nothing but the power supply, switch cables, until you find where it comes from.

10. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    When I use just the battery I get nothing at all. Just the solid red light when I hit the switch.

11. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I plugged my computer into the tuner using an 1/8" cable and a 1/4" adapter and generated a signal (440 Hz) using Audacity. It registered fine, and I tried this with both the battery and the 9v DC as the power source (though with the power source I do still get the 60 Hz cycle hum as Jazz Ad suggested).

So it looks like the tuner is fine and there is something wrong with my bass? Any thoughts?

12. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Good news: I got the tuner to work!

Bad news: My Stingray5 is broken!

13. PitchBlack: the broken Stingray diagnostic device.
    Maybe just a simple wiring glitch in the bass.
    Time for some troubleshooting.
    Good luck.
    Sorry for your troubles.

S