1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Korg Pitchblack Mini vs TC Polytune Mini 2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jacoby75, Oct 27, 2018.

1. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Hey guys

I am considering putting together a small pedalboard for smaller gigs when I don’t need all the effects options at my disposal. I have been a faithful boss tuner user for decades, but I am considering getting a mini tuner. Pretty much my only requirements are silent and accurate tuning. I have seen both positive and negative reviews of both the Korg in the TC tuners, but I thought I would ask for your opinion. My chief concern is the tuner’s ability to register the low b string. The TC goes down to 27 Hz while the Korg goes down to 20 Hz. In theory, 27 Hz is a low A, but if my B string happens to be well flat I am concerned that the TC might not register it. Perhaps it is not a worthwhile concern, but I thought I would ask if anyone had opinions. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    TC Polytune for the superior display alone.

Worrying about a tuner that goes down to 20hz is a non-issue, as you are mainly hearing the overtones which are much higher frequencies.

jacoby75 likes this.
  3. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Thank you. The display, from what I’ve read, is one of the big advantages of the polytune. I just didn’t know if when a tuner tunes a note, if it’s registering the overtones and tuning based on that, or only the fundamental. I’ve had tuners in the past that had a difficult time registering the low B.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah the Polytune locks on the low B better than pretty much any other pedal tuner. Even the Polytune ClipOn nails it.

Clark Word and jacoby75 like this.
  5. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Good to know. Thanks.

6. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    I was looking at the Boss TU-3W Waza Craft Chromatic Tuner, $149
    I'm not even studying it now.

I picked up a Polytune 2 Mini pedal(store demo model) along with a 1 Spot power supply(new) and 1 Spot 5 pedal daisy chain power cable(new) all for 90 bucks at my local Guitar Gallery store. I've ran it through it's paces from standard tuning, down half step, to 3 steps down (C) and back up on a 4 string bass. No issues with tuning at all. And the bypass switch is deadly silent.

I like the display in needle mode as well as strobe mode. Both are easy to read and use. Changing from needle mode to strobe, or changing to alternate tunings is just a push away on the tuning mode button on the side of the pedal. Drop D tuning and back to standard is done just by holding the footswitch in for 3 seconds.

My only gripe is the tuning mode button on the side is right next to the power input jack. With the tuner sitting on top of my amp, I have the power cable running across it toward the back of the pedal. So I have to rotate it out of my way to get to the button to change tuning modes. Now, if it was mounted to a slotted pedal board I'd just run the power cable down through a slot, then out the back instead, problem solved. But it sure would have been nice if they had put the button on the back, the left side of the pedal, or even offset it from where it is now by a 1/4" inch higher and 1/4" further back. It'll be mounted to a slotted board soon enough and then it won't matter anyway.

IMG_20181101_163921742.