1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Korg pitchblack rack tuner!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rocksolid, Oct 24, 2013.

1. So close to perfection! No mute jack on the back, and no output on the front!

But why I ask??:crying:

2. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    Looks cool. I take it the rear input can be used with a wireless?

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    There are so many bass players playing micro amps nowadays that a good half-rack or something designed to sit on top of an amp and plug into the tuner out desperately needs to happen.

The "Pitchblack Portable" is their best option right now - but it needs to sit with the display angled a bit more.

ps40QMk.

4. CAW

CAW

Apr 18, 2010
    Nice to see them introducing a new rackmount tuner, though. Was a shame when they discontinued all their older models. For a while, the Peterson StroboRack has been the only readily available rackmount tuner. And while the StroboRack is quite nice (I use one), it is a bit spendy...

This new Korg unit's display sure looks like you could probably see it from the other side of Mars without any problems, though. They definitely got that right. Looks like it uses an external power supply, though. That they got very wrong; that's a deal killer for rack gear...

5. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Mar 25, 2011
    You prefer internal (battery) power? I like the security of not having to worry about if the batteries have enough juice in them to give me accurate readings. I don't have a lot of rack gear, but what I do have is all powered externally.

The only thing I have batteries in are my basses (active) and my back up tuner (which I'm looking to get an electric power supply). Just my opinion though.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    No, that it uses a pedal-style power brick instead of a regular IEC power cord.

7. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    I don't need a rack-tuner, but I still want this one. You know... it has lights and stuff.

8. CAW

CAW

Apr 18, 2010
    No. Rack gear should have an internal power supply and take an IEC power cord. Not use some external wall wart/lump BS power brick that just gets messy in the back of a rack.

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I have read that using an external power supply is sometimes employed as a noise reduction method in racked PA gear and mixers...

- georgestrings

10. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    wow!! the rack unit is KILLER!!

11. CAW

CAW

Apr 18, 2010
    I read that as folks using gear that was designed by wannabe EEs that don't know good design, or designing to a price point that excludes using proper components for good design.

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Whatever - DBX, TC Electronics, Soundcraft, etc... all make quality gear, and use external power supplies - you probably don't know as much about this stuff as you *think* you do...

- georgestrings

13. CAW

CAW

Apr 18, 2010
    Perhaps. But those are also all large companies mass producing gear and working to maximize profit. Using an external wall wart saves them a ton of money over getting an internal power supply certified with the various governmental bodies.

The converse argument is there is plenty of gear out there that does have internal power supplies and has no issues with sound quality.

I really think it's an economic/profit based decision to go with wall warts.

14. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Sweet.
    Crap, now I'm gonna need a bigger rack.

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I'm sure profit margin had something to do with it, although I haven't seen a price on these, yet... Looking at my own bass amp rack, my XDR-95 uses a wallwart, my DTR-2000 doesn't... The DTR-2000 was around $280 when new - if this new Korg rack tuner is significantly cheaper, IMO it's a worthwhile tradeoff... After all, there are ways of setting up a surge strip to accomodate multiple wallwarts, while remaining somewhat tidy in the back - here's mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- georgestrings