Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Korg PRX4

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Since there really aren't any serious PC-based recording solutions for under $1000, I've been looking at digital 4-tracks to start sketching out song ideas.

I really like the specs of the Korg PRX4--it doesn't look as versatile as the Zoom or Boss units, but having the USB output makes it significantly more "future-proof" than the Boss. I don't know much about recording quality, but I can handle a couple of glitches from time to time.

Anyone have any experience with the PRX4?

2. "I was doing this new dance called the BUMP, and my buttocks came in contact with another man's buttocks!"

3. bump as well.

I've been looking at it too.

4. The user review was really helpful. I don't plan to use effects terribly heavily--this is strictly for demos.

I'm not terribly concerned about poor UI--I used to be a linux d00d, and before I started using KDE I went through about 4 or 5 wretched window managers. I can do bad UI.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Uhhhh...can you please translate that into English?

6. and is based in large part on Minix, an old protypical experimental OS, and UNIX. This means that it's not designed to be used in any way other than through the command line. So for years people tried, and pretty much failed, to come up with a GUI that actually worked instead of just being a pretty window dressing.

The main problem being that people who knew enough about linux to effectively program it were generally experienced enough to be comfortable with it as it was. So it took a long time before people actually got around to making an effective GUI that a non-geek could use.

As for the PXR4...

I thought it was very interesting that the unit can route the output through the USB port right into the computer.

7. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    I have the boss and love it. Of your concerns, I don't think there will be any problems. It uses the smart media which has been around for a while and many digital cameras use it. I purchased a 128 meg card for 60 bucks at comp usa and it gives me tons of time. I get the info into the computer with a little mouse looking thing that connects to USB. I plug in it transfers then I can burn. Very simple.

8. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Fbregy,

What format is the sound data in? Do you need special software to convert to .wav / .aiff? Is the media "Smart Media" or "Compact Flash"?

Thanks for your help.

9. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    Hey
    I am not at home to look up formats and I am not to knowledgeable about that stuff but, I just downloaded the free software from the roland site. Now when I stick the smart media card in the input device the song will go to the file. I can then directly burn to CD which will play on my stereo just like I would any other music. I Use the run of the mill Easy CD creator. I drag and drop the songs I want to burn to the Easy creator and hit make CD. I have not reconverted from the computer to the Roland but you can also do that. I will check the manual when I get home tonight and see what format the unit is in.

10. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    Man I could not find the formatt info in the manual. I am sure I am just overlooking it. I know the software takes your music form BR5 format to a wave file or wav to BR5 to put back into the unit.

11. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Bump again.

I realize recording on a PC offers more versatility, but I am sooooo not patient enough to deal with the software involved (resizing a window pushes my geek envelope). I am also not interested in composing songs, but am looking more for a self-improvement tool. This unit seems to be the most versatile of the various digital 4-track boxes out there.

Any more thoughts since August? All in favor? All opposed? Santa is coming soon...