Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Korg PX4B for gigging? Multi efx recomendations

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wattoosi, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Looking for a (good) multi-efx for gigging. Messed around with a Zoom 506 but it made my rig sound like crap. I read the thread on the V-Amp which sounds like a choice. Looking for some cool synth efx and a decent delay and whatever else. Thanks!

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

What's your budget ?

3. I was hoping to stay within that range up to $200 or so. The thing is I would like a distinct upgrade from that zoom so if I can't do it for that $$ then I can't! The Zoom wrecked bottom end with its poor freq response or the efx didn't allow for tight bottom end. Some cool synth efx along with the ability very attack and sustain would be nice. I am mostly playing with a praise band so it varies from driven rock to very quiet. Thanks!

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    If you are not averse to making an eBay deal, you would likely be able to find an Alesis QuadraVerb or QuadraVerb2 in your price range. I picked one up on eBay a couple years ago and it has served me very well. I'm still learning how to program in a lot of the cool features, but right out of the box I was able to find some settings that fit well in my Praise Band setting.

I have on occassion used my Korg PX3B through my rig at Praise Band rehearsal. It was okay in a small church setting, but I still backed off on using it during a service. Just didn't feel right.

If you get a chance to play around with a QuadraVerb at a music store, I'd recommend doing so.

Here's a link to completed eBay auctions to give you a feel for what they are and what they go for.

Alesis QV on eBay

Happy huntin'

Peace,

James

5. Okay, cool, did you think the PX4B was too wet, too intense? Wondering. Also, I like to jam freely and we do in practice also, and some of that flows into the live session, even when not intentional. I am looking to have an opportinity to be as creative as possible w/o destroying the integrity of the bass sound itself! I heard and effect once that sounded something like a cello I thought. I forgot the effect, but the fretless efx on the Zoom was getting close. Why, I don't know!

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    When I used my PX3B, I always felt that cranking the volume of my rig would somehow "hollow out" the sound. Don't know how to describe it other than that. I don't have any real experience to back that up. It just seem that in rehearsal, we didn't really have to crank the volume as we would when the church hall was full. I just had the impression that if / when we did crank the volume, the sound with the PX3B would breakdown at high volume. Just a hunch....never proven or disproven.

Peace,

James

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The PX3 /4 are very cool little boxes but the small size makes them a pain for live use. For me at least, it is unusual to run the same effect patch for an entire song and toggling between patches is too slow. I run a Digitech GSP 21 in the effects loop with footswitchs. I use the stock one footswitch to select the patch and a midi to work with some of the other parameters. That works OK. No envelope filter in the Digi though but decent EQ, Compression, 'Verb, Chorus, Flange and Gate. Has an effects loop of it's own that is controllable through the patch which is where my env filter will go when I finally finish my search.
    I will say that I loved my PX3b as a headphone amp while traveling. For a little box you can carry in a gig bag it smokes!

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I use a PX3B live, just for one flange patch that I tweaked and really dig that I can't reproduce with other units. I leave the PX3B on, and have it mounted in the loop of a true-bypass footswitch. That way, I can kick it on when I want, and leave it totally out of the stream all other times.

Of course, with all the rest of my high-end gear it almost looks embarrassing to have it on my pedalboard, but the patch is simply killer . . .

9. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I just got a PX4B, and I'm going to try it live. I'll probably use it Sunday, our church praise band is going to play in a local park (a chance to really turn it up), and I have a couple of Fourth of July gigs where I hope to use it.