Korg rackmount tuners

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Funkateer, May 21, 2003.

1. Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Am considering acquiring one. Are they worth the money and accurate enough to use when setting intonation, etc? Any significant differences in usability or performance between the current DTR 1000/2000 and older DTR 1/2 models? They apparently show the note name that is being played, but do they also show the octave? Online manuals weren't clear on this
  2. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    The Korgs are very good. They do show the note, but not the octave. There is also a strobe setting. I have had two DTR tuners(one was stolen) and both held up to extensive touring.
    I would recommend getting one. I am not sure of the differences between the DTR1 and 2. Sorry.
  3. I bought one on Harmony Central not long ago, I think it's the DTR-1000, have had no problems yet.

PS I don't think setup is the appropriate location for this thread.
  4. Jon Maghini

Jon Maghini Commercial User

Aug 15, 2002
    USA Terryville CT.
    Owner / Builder M Basses
    The DTR - 1 features the strobe setting and the DTR - 2 doesn't. I have used my DTR - 1 in the shop for the past few years and I am very pleased with it's proformance...www.MBasses.com
  5. cthesick

Sep 12, 2002
    lawton OK
    i just got the DTR2000 and its the best tuner i've ever used.

the differance between the dtr1 and the dtr2 is as previously stated it has strobe tuning but it also has a rackmount light for lighting your gear below it(still don't know how this will hold up on a pitch black stage) it also has 2 seperate selectable inputs tone generator auto tuning for differant string setups. and maybe something else.. not sure... pretty much dtr1 straight no frills tuner and the dtr2 is the big mama.
  6. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Other than a minor differnce or two, the significant difference is about $200 or so...

I have the DT-1 Pro Rackmount;

-Calibrate: 440 'A', a couple below and some several above

-Slow: seek and locks into the frequency - personally, it's Too Slow and has a difficult 'locking'

-Fast: quicker seek and much better at locking into frequency

-Sound: ??? anyone?

-Mute: speaks for itself

Plus a headphone out - nice for playing at the house without the amp, 1/4" input, mute footswitch jack and some half - a dozen EFX loops on the back along with a few other I/O's I don't recall off the top of head... I always carry along a small battery operated tuner. (beats lugging around a rackmount w/four other units just to have a tuner;^)

BTW: I've searched high and low, posted and queried on various sites, but have yet to secure an owner's manual.. anyone know of a "certain" place to obtain such a rarity?

michael s.
  7. cthesick

Sep 12, 2002
    lawton OK

you will find both the dtr1 and dtr2 in the same pdf file
  8. What on earth is this doing in setup i wonder?

You are the weakest link..... goodbye. :p

9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I own a Korg DTR-2000 rack tuner, and while it's very good, unless you specifically want the rack format and the added functions, I'd advise you to also look at the Boss TU-2 pedal tuner. In my opinion it's as good as the Korg, and possibly easier to use and maybe even more stable when tuning. Could be the resolution is higher for the Korg, but in everyday use I prefer most aspects of the TU-2. Cheaper too.
  10. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Korg also have a pedal tuner nowadays, incl the strobe function IIRC.
  11. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA

Thanks for the effort, but I've been there already for longer than most might have the patience to stay...

The manual I'm searching for is to a "DT-1" tuner. Perhaps I'm strolling on to the warning track in left-field, but it seems to me that Korg, wouldn't supply an owner's manual for a "DT-1" that was titled "Manual For DTR-1"??.. the former is what I have.
    Anyone have a 'known' place for the manual?

michael s.
  12. fourfinger

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    I like my DTR2, but noticed a noisy little pop in the mute button, if I didn't set it up a certain way:

NOISY MUTE: Plug bass into front of tuner and tuner into amp.

NO NOISE: Plug bass into amp, run effects loop into and back out of the rear of tuner.

Possibly my problem with the first setup would be a warranty issue if I looked into it. But I have had no problems whatsoever running it the second way, other than when a sound man wanted to use his direct box instead of my preamp's built-in DI (not a major problem if he also takes care of muting the house during tuning, but if he doesn't, then tuning goes thru the mains).

Except for that brief moment (before he agreed to use my DI), I have always been very happy that I invested in it.