Korg Toneworks PX4B???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thewanderer24, May 3, 2002.

1. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I have been looking to buy a PX3B for roving practice purposes, and have shopped around over the past few days, only to find that all the local shops are sold out of PX3B. Some guy at GC even said that they may have discontinued it.

PX3B is still up on the Korg website, and the PX4B is not there, though people keep saying it is rumoured to be on the way.

I was looking online for a place to buy one, and low and behold, musicians fiend is advertising the PX4B due out later this month...

Has anyone else heard anything about this?? Think it's worth putting my order in?
  2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    My answer would be a resounding yes. The PX3B wouldn't be bad either. Got one and love it!
  3. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I saw a PX4B at Guitar Center this past Saturday, so they are out there and you might not have to order and wait. I remember it having one or two features my PX3B doesn't have. I didn't spend much time with it, so I couldn't tell you exactly what they were.

I've had my PX3B for more than a year now and consider it to be an irreplaceable piece of my gear. If I lose it, break it, or find it ripped off, I'll hurry to replace it.

It's worth checking TB's Gear for Sale, eBay and Bass Gear for PX3Bs now that PX4Bs are on the market.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You sure it wasn't just a PX4? I found it curious that when the PX-4 was announced at NAMM In January, there was no word on a bass version.

The PX-3B was the first Pandora for bass, the PX-1 and PX-2 never came in bass versions.
  5. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

Good catch! It was a PX4, no B on that one.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    James, quit doubting yourself:

MoFo link to the PX4B

Due 5-23, $219.

I may have to look at one of these. I had a PX3B, but sold it because I didn't use effects at the time. Now I do, plus the new knob layout, larger size, and IR headphone output makes the new one very tempting.
  7. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    No doubt on this one. I was back at GC. Their unit was a telltale blue . I'm sure the B version is coming, but that weren't one that I saw

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    KORG Pandora PX4B Personal Multi Effect Processor

The PANDORA series is joined by a new model designed just for bass: the compact, power-packed PX4B. With killer sound, easy interface and awesome features, the PX4B is a must-have for bassists at home, in the studio, or on stage.

Š A total of 122 different high-quality effects created by "REMS" modeling technology, including bass amp sounds.
    Š Knob-based interface for quick and intuitive editing.
    Š A total of 100 programs (50 preset and 50 editable user programs) covering a wide range of sounds suitable for all styles of music.
    Š 100 different rhythm patterns featuring realistic PCM sounds, in a wide variety of musical styles.
    Š Phrase Trainer function lets you learn phrases from CDs or practice improvising.
    Š AUX IN for session playing with an external sound source.
    Š Key Transpose function lets you adjust the pitch of an external audio source.
    Š Bass Canceller function removes the bass sound from a recording.
    Š Semi-transparent LCD illuminates the characters when you turn on the backlight.
    Š Auto Chromatic Tuner with mute function.
    Š Built-in Infrared stereo transmitter for wireless headphones.

Models everything from bass amps to speaker cabinets
    Ten different bass amp models cover everything from vintage to standard amps. The amp models faithfully reproduce every sonic detail of the original amp, from warm and fat tube sounds to clean bass amps. The cabinet effect models the acoustic character of various bass cabinet speakers – a real advantage when recording via direct line or when using headphones. You can even select the speaker size (10, 12, 15, and 18 inch), delivering a broad variety of powerful bottom-end sounds.

High quality and unique effects delivered by modeling technology
    The PX4B includes compressor/limiter, modulation-type and ambience-type effects, plus unique and high quality effects that stimulate your creativity. These include a popular filter-type auto wah, a ring modulation that changes in response to your picking, a fretless bass effect that simulates the unique sound of a fretless bass and newly developed effects that produce a different spatial sense than reverb. The PX4B even has a feedback effect that simulates the feedback performance techniques normally possible only at high volumes, an analog synth effect that reproduces the sound of an analog synth with resonance, a rotary effect that changes speed in response to your picking and fingering and a preamp effect that models a preamp built into your instrument to change a passive-type to an active-type bass sound.

A total of 100 programs
    Fifty preset programs using these diverse effects include programs suitable for use with finger, slap, and picked playing styles, as well as distinctive programs like synth bass. Up to seven effects can be used simultaneously, and you can create and store fifty of your own user programs, giving you a total of one hundred programs for immediate access.

Amp-like easy operation
    The most commonly used ten modeling amp types and bass synth can be selected by a dedicated dial, and tone control knobs are also provided for bass, middle, and treble. This makes editing operations just as easy as if you were using a conventional bass amp and compact effect unit. The value dial lets you make immediate changes to the effect type or parameter values. And a Tap button makes it easy to set delay times and rhythm tempo.

Rhythm patterns for practice or for demo tape production
    100 types of rhythm patterns are built-in, ranging across styles such as rock, jazz, funk, blues, and dance music. Backed by dynamic rhythms played by PCM sound sources, you can practice improvisation and scales, or develop your sense of rhythm. Up to eight patterns can be chained to connect different rhythms – a great way to produce simple demo tapes.

Phrase Trainer function assists you in learning by ear or practicing improvising
    With the PX4B’s Phrase Trainer you can record up to 31.7 seconds of an external sound source from a CD or from your own playing and then play it back at the same pitch even if you slow it down. You can even loop the playback and play along as long as you’d like. This Phrase Trainer function provides a convenient way to objectively check your own playing, or to learn phrases from a CD. Or, record a phrase you play along with the internal rhythms, and improvise along with it for a great way to improve your playing skills.

A variety of support functions to enhance your playing
    An AUX IN jack lets you connect a CD player or similar device, and you can use the Bass Canceller function to erase the bass sounds from the song and play along with it. The Key Transpose function lets you change the pitch upward or downward in a range of +/-1 octave, so even if a song was recorded with a semitone-dropped tuning, you can play along without having to re-tune your own bass. Since an infrared wireless transmitter is built-in, you can concentrate on your playing without being tied down by cables. And to make all of this functionality easy to use, a semi-transparent LCD is used to ensure that effect/program names and functions are highly visible.

PX4B Specifications
    <Effect Section>
    Š Effects: 122 types (Maximum number of effects available simultaneously: 7)
    Š Number of programs: 50 Preset, 50 User
    Š Rhythms: 100 types
    Š Inputs: bass input (1/4" jack), AUX IN (stereo mini jack)
    Š Outputs: line/headphone dual-purpose output (stereo phone jack)
    Š Calibration: A=438-445Hz
    Š Tuner Detection Range: 27.5Hz-2,093Hz (A0-C7)
    Š Tempo Range: 40-208 B.P.M.
    Š Infrared Transmitter: Frequency modulation type, carrier frequency (right/left), 2.8MHz/2.3MHz
    Š Power Supply: four AAA alkaline batteries
    Allows 10 hours of continuous use (infrared transmitter OFF, backlight OFF)
    Allows 5 hours of continuous use (infrared transmitter ON, backlight OFF)
    Separately sold AC adapter (KA191)
    Š Dimensions: 76(W)x112(D)x27(H)mm/2.99"(W)x4.41"(D)x1.06"(H)
    Š Weight (not including batteries): 138g/0.3Ibs. *To be informed later
    Š Accessories: four AAA alkaline batteries, Strap Holder
    Š Option: AC adapter (NA)

For wireless headphones suitable for use with the PX4, please contact the distributor in your country or your nearest KORG dealer.
  9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
  10. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I've been looking for something to throw some life into my bass playing and I think my new Toneworks PX4B will do it. Great amp modeling and sounds, plus it integrates well with a CD player and headphones. Even a stereo panning effect. The drum sounds are great to drill with as well. I haven't learned half the features, but after one night, I am truly impressed. This replaces my Band-in-a-box, Zoom 708 and Yamaha Nathan East NE-1 with a lot to spare. I got this online from Sam Ash. Local stores think it still hasn't come out yet. Funny thing is, Sam Ash's web operation is just down the street, and the salesman Steve let me come by to save the shipping. Cost $219.
  11. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

May 4, 2002
    New Mexico
    I've had the Px4b for about two weeks. Haven't played around with it enough to give it a review, but it's kinda fun to fool with.
    BTW, musicians friend was selling it for $219 W/ a free 9v adaptor! The only problem with this is it uses a 4.5v adaptor!:oops: I hope anyone that took them up on this deal didn't try to use the wrong adaptor!