Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Korina or Lacewood?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BFunk, Aug 17, 2002.

1. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I am going to build a Warmoth Gecko 5 string fretless bass. It will have a Wenge/ebony neck and passive J/J pickups. I am undecided on the body wood. I have it down to solid Korina or solid Lacewood. I am looking for clear, round bottom, low-mid growl, (250-350 Hz), and open highs. Which body wood should I get for that?

2. lacewood. my fretless growls like hell and has some nice highs and lows. and imo it looks a whole hell of alot better.

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I guess noone like Korina for its looks. From what I have read, it seems that Lacewood will have a brighter sound, more like alder, where Korina will have a sound more like mahogany. On the other hand Mike Kinal says Korina is halfway between swamp ash and alder. I assume that means a little fuller sounding than swamp ash but with clearer lows and more pop than alder. Others have said korina bass bodies don't have a lot of bottom. (This is not a real problem for me with my Kern pre-amp.)

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Agreed. Why not just take the best of both worlds?

5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Warmoths tops are too thin, 1/8", to effect the tone.

6. My MP Level 5 has a Korina body. I like its looks :p and its sound. No lack of bottom. Just very round tone. I wanted brightness so I went with a maple neck / maple board. It's got a gloss finish on it which I have grown to like. I haven't seen a semi-gloss or oil finished korina body but I'm sure it would look nice as well. Bad pics of me and the bass on www.plasticarmymen.com.

Pat

7. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I can't get to the website, but I sure would like to see pictures. Also what type of music do you play?
    What amp are you using and which pickups?

8. doh - my bad. try this: www.plasticarmymen.net.
    We play covers - Vapors to Incubus to Duran Duran to RHCP.

Level 5 has basslines pickups with the 3 band. It goes through a GK800rb into an Ampeg Classic 4x10HE. I just put an order in for an Avatar B115 to put under the Ampeg.

Very happy with the bass - have had for over 1 1/2 years. Gets the job done.

Pat