Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Korina vs. Mahogany - body wings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, May 29, 2004.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Ok, I'm trying to decide on body wings for a 5er. Wenge neck, Pau Ferro fingerboard, perhaps a burl maple top. Electronics are still up in the air, as well. I'm looking to get your opinions of the differences in these two. IME, they've been pretty similar in sound and wieght, so I want to know what other people's ears hear. In particular, I'm considering White Korina. I've never been crazy about Black Korina. The body wood will probably also determine the stringers in the neck, so lets hear ideas for that, too.
    :help:

PS - I did do a search, but didn't really find what I was looking for.

2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Who's building the bass for you?

Limba is by far my favorite body wood. I'd say it's a bit lighter than african mahogany.

Alos it's white color makes it easy to match with heavy figured tops or dyes...

Peace,
    JP

3. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    btw, as you're in mobile, you could probably check Xush's JP with limba body and wenge neck if you haven't already.

Peace,
    JP

4. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Thanks, JP. I plan on checking out Mark's some more. I'm just no good on that unlined fretless! :D I'm planning a Benavente, but the thought of Korina didn't hit me until late last night, so I'll need to find out his thoughts on that, too.

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    SoComSurfing

White Korina is Great and Very light weight. Rings beautifully and is very resonant. Black Limba which is also Korina has a little more weight to is and strikingly different in look. Black Limba has a little more mahogany punch to it verse white Korina which seems to be a little more in between swamp ash and Alder. Both wonderful body woods. There are a couple of examples.

Black Limba
    [​IMG]

White Korina
    [​IMG]

And White Korina again between Buckeye top and back
    [​IMG]

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    he's used it.... I'm actually planning a twin to my new fretless 6 as a back up/spare with a black limba body and wenge/flamed maple or pear/wenge neck & a blank ebony fretless board.

I'm thinking keeping the body natural... or with a light tint of burgandy/brown/mahogany

:bassist: some day maybe! I am pretty set with what I got though :smug:

7. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I remember someone said the saying the same thing about poplar/tulipwood as well.

If I'm not mistaken, black korina is usually recommended for fretless basses rather than fretted ones - how come?
    How does korina sound in a fretted? Would it be better if you used mandolin frets instead? :help:

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Rusty

Hey man, not sure who told you Black Limba was better for fretless. I've had two basses built for me with Black Lima (Korina) as bodies. One just delivered last week (see pics).

White Korina is to me somewhere between a swamp ash and an Alder is tone, light weight and rings clear like a bell.

I don't think fret size will really tonally change the instrument.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Holy brazillian rosewood tops batman!! :D
    Brian - that is one sweet bass. Very very sweet.

Is white korina = poplar/tulipwood?? They sound remarkably similar...

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    White Korina and Black Limba (korina) are of the species Korina.

Tulip wood which Mike Tobias uses is Poplar, just another name. There is a real Tulip wood, but this isn't the one Mike uses, he uses Poplar and the slang name for it Tulip wood.

Tonally Popular and Korina are different as well.

The Brazillian Rosewood bass is amazing. I will try and get some pictures taken soon and start a thread. This bass is amazing!!!!!

11. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Limba, white and black, are the same wood specie. Latin name is Terminalia Superba.

Korina is just a commercial name.

Peace,
    JP

12. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Thanks, Brian. Chris told me to talk to you about the electronics and all, so I'm sure I'll be calling you this week about that, and we can try and sort this wood thing out, as well.

13. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

Correct, but the White and Black do have different properties to them. Both Great woods. Gibson use to make a Korina Explorer a long time ago which was popular. I believe thats the first I had seen it used.

Great woods!

SoComSurfing
    Chris has kept me up on the situation so just let me know what I can do to help.