Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Korina + wenge + ebony = growl?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bass Viking, Feb 21, 2005.

1. I came into some extra money recently and have been thinking about getting a new neck. I currently have a 4 string bass consisting of a Warmoth black korina body, maple neck and ebony fingerboard. I love the way it sounds and was thinking of getting a wenge neck with an ebony fingerboard to install on it. I really like the growl you get from a Warwick and I was wondering if this wood combination would achieve that.

Of course, I could build a whole new bass but it's cheaper just to swap necks. Anyone have this particular wood combination?

I'm using Basslines APJ-1 pickups on my bass.

Thanks

2. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    if you like your warwick, stick with that idea.

Bubinga and wenge.
    not only plays good, but nice lookin.

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Are the newer warwicks bubinga body still? Or are they wenge? If i'm looking for a really growly tone (Think Ryknow/Mudvayne) would a bubinga body and wenge neck be the way to go? What would adding, say a cocobolo top do for the tone?

4. Huge bump, because I'd like to hear some opinions on this wood combo too.

Black Korina Body + Wenge Neck + (Gaboon) Ebony Fretboard

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I have a Corvette - bubinga body, ovangkol neck, wenge fb; bell brass frets, oil-finish
    Custom/self-made - bubinga pommelé/swamp ash, wenge/bubinga, ebony; nickel-steel frets, polyurethane

The growl factor? Corvette wins, easily.
    Also has to do with the construction imo.

Wenge and ebony alone won't make it all growly. It will add some, but I found it didn't give as much growl as weight...

6. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    How do you know how their basses sound, for one....

To emulate a musicians tone, you seem to be forgetting the largest contributors to tone, the amp and effects.

7. In reality, that isnt always correct. You can do it two ways. You could try to build a bass around what tone you want, accheive that tone, then attempt to find an amp that is going to translate that sound as best as possible, without altering it. Or you could get a crappy bass and attempt to make up for its lack of good sound through your amp. I say that its better to find an amp that can translate your sound better, not alter it and make it completly different, then you have a great bass with a great amp, rather than having a crappy bass and trying to compensate for it through your amp, or even worse, find the perfect bass for your sound, and having an amp that completely changes that, and ruins the point of having the good bass. Wow, I'm rambaling, but, I think I have a good point...

8. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I know, all I am saying is that when you attempt to emulate another musicians sound, you have no idea how it got there. I'll bet the bass player for mudvayne does not play a wenge or bubinga bass.

9. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Correct me if I'm wrong... but isn't that exactly what he does use? Warwick thumb I think... Wenge neck/fb and bubinga body. Not definite about the body - some of the newer ones have ovangkol but I'm fairly sure he uses bubinga bodied thumbs.

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Lol. Self-pwnage. :D
    Thumb NT.

11. OK, this makes sense to me. If you try to sound JUST like someone else, you do have to take into consideration what amps they use, and effects, as well as style, picks if they use them, lots of factors. I personally feel you shouldn't attempt to sound JUST like someone anyway. Find your own sound, that may be SIMILAR to someone else with your own vibe.

I have also just realized that nothing on this post had to do with copying someone else rather than immitading a particular bass. O well, its a good message anyway...:D

Looking back I find your looking for warwick like tone. I personally feel that a Korina body will work for a similar sound, as long as te neck is wenge, because thats probably the largest factor to the warwick sound. If you want, you can try ordering a new neck first, try it out, and if you like it, your done, if not, you can still order a new body.

12. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Happens to the best of us, lol. Goes to show what I know about Mudvayne, eh?