Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Korn bassist....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassist123, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Bassist123

Bassist123

Dec 13, 2005
    Hi there my name is Ron i'm 21

I have a 4 strings musicman stingray bass
    and also a Pandora PX4B multi effect of kork...

i just started to listen to Korn and i fall in love in there bassist sound...
    i would like to know how i can get the closer sound to his..?
    (i tryed to mute the "Middle" to 0 but still its not even close to his sound! so plese tell me how to do it plese) :crying:

2. Do a search on this forum, my friend.
    Fieldy's gear, sound and technique has been talked about quite a lot.

3. Probably not a good idea if your a patriotic feildy supporter...if you know what I mean :rolleyes: ;)

4. Very true. :) hehe

5. Bassist123

Bassist123

Dec 13, 2005
    what is his gear?
    what effects he use?

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    not sure how up-to-date this is, but he used ibanez soundgear 5-strings and mesa/boogie m-2000 heads with mesa/boogie cabinets.

from what little i've heard, most of his sound is just bass and amp (with x-treme eq'ing!). as for effects... off the top o' the dome i can only name the boss bass synth, which is apparently awful, according to bass-talkers.

7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Someone best said it "By throwing a handful of Tic-Tacs down a flight of stairs."

8. Even that's not clicky enough.....

9. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Are you sure about the cabs? I just checked the Ampeg site and he endorses the PR410HLF. Have a picture of him w/ 4 in his car. It dosen't say anything about Ampeg amps though.
    I will say, I have never seen his stage set up.

10. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
  11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Instructions to sound like Korn's bassist:
    1) Get 5 string (or just put a thicker string instead of an E on a 4) and detune it so that you can't tell what notes you play. In fact, this is not so much detuning as just unwinding the string. I call it Kornuning.
    2) Cut all mids and all but the highest band of treble (bost the highest band of treble).
    3) Hit your low string (as in, HIT that bitch)
    4) Use random frets to vary the sound some.
    You are now officially Korn sounding!

12. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    HaHa... Korn was my favorite band in high school but i never liked their bassist even then when they were my FAVORITE!

His tone sucks, his skills suck and he is all gangsta'

13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

ah... i was wrong about the cabs. i guess they were hughes and kettner back then, as in the geeked rig link.

yeah, his rig probably changed since then. i was recalling my info from a bass player magazine article from several years ago. :D

14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Ya, the rest of the band is pretty good. I'm loving the new music video! It is hilarious! I think that the rapper imitating the bassist is probabally better at bass than the real thing :p

15. LOL!!

Snoop doing "Munky" ...that was the best!

Not a big Korn fan, but that video made me laugh my ass off!

16. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

this song aint about no booty, its about transistors, you dig?

17. :D

18. I think he's added some sort of distortion to his set up. That geek picture is really old. He's got a few Ibanez SR Soundgear 5 strings basses tuned ADGCF, all custom shop with Bartolini Pickups and Electronics.