Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Korns first album technique? slap bass went with the drums

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by videodrone, Mar 29, 2003.

1. videodrone

videodrone

Mar 29, 2003
    If anyoen ever listens to Korn's first album, they see how impressive the bass is, it goes with teh drums and he gets unbelievable tone,

Does anyone have some tips on how I can write a bass line to go with a the drums, any tips or techniques?

there has to be some kinda formula, has anyoen cracked it?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Buy yerself a drum book(Gary Chaffee, Ed Biggs, etc) & learn/attempt to understand the drum parts therein.
    The above books have samples/transcriptions of guys like Clyde Stubblefield(of James Brown), Zigaboo Modeliste(of The Meters) & Mike Clarke(of The Headhunters).

Attempt to play a line of your own using what these guys are doing with-
    (a)The kick drum
    (b)The snare drum

Play just the kick 'pattern'
    Play just the snare 'pattern'(possibly a more backbeat vibe)
    Play both(possiblt a busy vibe)

Eventually, omit what you feel...eventually, begin playing OFF what the drums are doing.

...just food-for-thought.

3. Here ya go, this should solve all your problems:

Image deleted - Mod.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    What the hell is up with you guys? I don't like Fieldy either, but that's no reason to flame the guy. If you don't want to contribute, fine, but TREAT OTHER MEMBERS WITH RESPECT. Eric, I'm not going to tell you again.

5. Sorry, it wont happen again :(

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    but this is the guys second Fieldy thread since he's got here... isn't THAT against the rules?

7. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    No matt, it's not.

8. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Honestly, if he would have asked about any other band would you have given him this much stink? Do you disagree that learning to lock with the drums is a vital part in you playing? If it isnt...maybe you should watch this thread and learn something. The guy likes Korn, do you really care what kind of music he likes? Should he only like the music that some of you guys find fitting. Lay off.

9. i agree

10. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    Ya word to old_skool!

11. Well if you get the sheet music and learn the Time signature, that would make it simpler, other than that I dont know, I guess just experience and practice is what it takes.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

For your information, I have in previous threads stood up for Fieldy on the basis of his tightness with the drummer. But this Fieldy has been done to death. Doing a search (as I told him in his other thread) is a tip I gave him in his OTHER fieldy thread. I guess you could look up to Fieldy, if you don't like playing actual notes.

Wow, am I getting old? Because now I'm the one complaining about Fieldy (I never liked him but still) and saying DO A SEARCH. Agg.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Pacman doesn't like me :(

Also so I'm not just the Ahole who complained on this thread. JimK gave some great advice and on top of that... LISTEN TO WHAT THE DRUMMER IS DOING! It sounds simple, but it's a big thing. Also, maybe you should try getting behind a kit once in a while. If you have an understanding of the instrument you are trying to work with, that is the best way to write music that works well with it. The same holds true for guitar, etc. It never hurts to be a musician above a bass player.

14. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Not true at all! And hey, I'm sick to death of the guy too, but just because we can't stand him, doesn't mean the poster who asked the question has to pay. He asked a question, and gave enough info for a reasonable answer, should someone feel so inclined.

15. True that Pacman, Im sorry about my post with the pic, it was unecessary, He didnt say something like "FI3ldy
    R0xor3!! h3 C4n Klickity and Jaco Pastorius c4nt!!!!", He was just asking a reasonable question which should have gotten a reasonable answer. Not me flaming him with Tab Crawler pics, Im a horrible human being :bawl:

16. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    No worries, Eric.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

touche. I'm not usually inclined to snap at a post. I've just been a bit mixed up lately. School stuff really piling up etc. Sorry videodrone, don't let jerks like me get to you. I hope you stick around Talkbass and getcho talk on.

18. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    FWIW, Matt's no jerk. We all can have 'days' - god knows I've had 'em - he's a good cat.

19. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I believe a Fieldy search would only yield more sarcasm, and not too much else.