1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kraftwerk

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Jun 7, 2002.

1. I bought Kraftwerk's "Trans-europe express" album today, to add to the "Man machine" album I already have.
    it's odd to finally hear the signature synth riff that was sampled on Afrika Bambataa's "planet rock" in its original context in the "trans europe express" title track.
    "the Man machine" I first heard sampled by the 2 Live crew.......

I suppose it's a bit incongruous posting here about a band with no bass guitar, or any "real" instruments at all on their best-known material, but I'm realising what a huge influence they've had and continue to have on so many bands, including guitar bands eg. Radiohead, The Stranglers, Devo as well as all the synth bands of the 80's- OMD, Human League, Gary Numan.

"Metropolis" and famous hit single "the model" have interesting, albeit mechanical, basslines.

ps. this cover used for a Bootleg combining Kraftwerk's "numbers" with Whitney Houston's "I wanna dance with somebody"= "I wanna dance with numbers" cracks me up-
    [​IMG]:D

2. Some of the best Kraut Rock you can buy. Granted I am from America so my view may be tainted.

Autobahn is still probally my favorite but both disks are great for just kicking back and either relaxing or doing stuff around the house. Add a sub-woofer to the mix and you will probally clean out your sinuses.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Live in america disc 2
    Yin yang discs 1 and 2
    a show of hands
    and Kraftwerk's "computer world"
    have been the 5 cds in my changer for about 4 days....Boards of canada and Squarepusher snuck in a for a brief period, and tom waits and madness got a few tracks through, but primarily those 5 albums have been all I've been listening to.

I really like kraftwerk, good stuff.

4. I bought Radioactivity today-
    OMD (Orchestral Manuoevres in the Dark) borrowed heavily from this-
    their "Electricity" is VERY similar to Radioactivity's title track.

tracks like that and "Airwaves" , "Antenna" sound surprisingly contemporary considering this was done on crude equipment by today's standards, back in 1975.
    -bands like Ladytron and Colder recalling Kraftwerk's sound today.

5. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    Ahhhhhhhh Kraftwerk. Those breakdancin' days of mine, so long ago, were enhanced by the Euro-chic sounds of Kraftwerk. They were very creative guys and even though they don't really belong on this forum, I still listen to them.

One of my favorites, though, can only be found as a single, "Tour de France". It was in the movie, "Breakin'", when the dude was sweeping outside at night. A truly innovative and AWESOMELY cool song, to this day.

I'll be heading out to Germany for 2 weeks, next Monday, and no doubt I'll have my headset on, listening to "Trans Europe Express", "Autobahn", "Metal on Metal", and "Music Non Stop".

6. the new Tour de France remixes album was in the charts here recently- seems a bit lazy of them though- only a couple of new tracks on it.

instead I'm looking for Autobahn and Computer world in the clearouts.

7. I had downloaded "Autobahn" only a few days ago, for a compilation CD only with german songs on it which my girlfriend will take to her german course :)

I would add Depeche Mode to the list of artists being influenced by Kraftwerk - especially their early stuff (when Vince Clarke was still with them) has quite some similarities.

I will never forget the first time I ever saw/heard Kraftwerk: I must've been 7 or 8 years old, and there was a performance of "Die Roboter"/"The Robots" on TV...and there were actually look-alike puppets on stage instead of the guys themselves, with very strange instruments! I found that quite...disturbing back then :D

8. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California

So, true about early Depeche Mode. Actually, Kraftwerk influenced a lot of the dance music that later evolved and branched out into techno, trance, and industrial, among others. I don't know too much about the other genres(other than I like some of it, as an ambient nature to get ideas from).

The first time I heard Kraftwerk's stuff(some time in the early 80's, from an older brother of one of my buddies), I was just impressed at how 'modern' and technical-sounding it was. Then I saw a picture of these guys and thought they were computer programmers...........which, they kinda were, weren't they?

9. also I have the Balanescu Quartet's tribute to Kraftwerk album-

a string quartet covering Robots, Autobahn, the Model, Computer love, Pocket Calculator, plus a cover of David Byrne's "hanging upside down" and a couple of original tracks.

Robots and Computer Love are the standout tracks- Computer love in particular- on stringed instruments it becomes a striking piece of music.

10. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    ....now heard wafting through the Governor's mansion in Sacramento no doubt....

11. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California

Hehehe. Better that than, "Deutscheland Uber Alles".

12. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I love me some Kraftworks. I can' handle them for that long tough, I find the cheesey synths annoying after a while. But then again they were in the early 80's. Autobahn is a killer as well as a lot of the stuff on the computer world cd. Definantly influenced a lot of the electronic mucis from then. I am glad we have a tread about electronic music, because I love that stuff.

13. but Arnie claims his favourite band is the Beatles....

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, that's a good album. I used to play pieces of it occassionally on a radio show I did in college.

brad cook

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

You know, synthetizers are real instruments too.
    It might be all electronic, but so it the sound coming out from your amp.

16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

[hijackin'] The techno band that I am enjoying right now is "Orbital". Great stuff, especially "Insides". If it weren't for hearing 'Kraftwerk" first however, I may not have given 'Orbital" much notice.[/hijackin']

17. in this month's Record Collector magazine there's a special on Kraftwerk, and the bands they influenced- eg. Depeche mode, Goldfrapp, Gary Numan.

also Richard X- (famous for the Gary Numan vs. Adina Howard/Sugababes "Freak like me" bootleg/reworking as a hit single) who did this bootleg I mentioned at the start of the thread-

- he says that Kraftwerk grudgingly allowed the sample to be used- they hated what had been done with their song- but loved the altered sleeve (replacing the Kraftwerk band members' heads on the Man Machine album cover with Whitney's) as shown above!

18. "Tour de France" is a very good song, yes! Unlike "Music Non Stop", which in my opinion is rather uninspired.

Rammstein did a cover of "The Model" (in german) a few years ago. It's very entertaining as the vocals sound like the Cookie Monster :D

19. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    As a big Krafwerk fan, I would recommend to give the new album "Tour de Frace Soundtracks" a listen. Tracks like "La Forme" & "Electro Kardiogramm" are to me instant classics!:D

Rock on Kraftwerk fans..:bassist:

20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Kraftwerk also helped me to later on appreciate guys like Brian Eno and the B-sides of both Bowie records "Heroes" and "Low".