Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kramer 450b

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chronosx65x, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Chronosx65x

Chronosx65x

May 27, 2004
    Milwaukee,Wi.
    hello fellow bass freaks! i have a question. i have an old kramer 450b, aluminum neck,black,with the original case and warranty papers(not valid anymore,lol). its in decent condition, plays nice, and sounds good through my behringer bx300t and 4x10. iv'e been told that the bass sucks by someone who is a pretty good bassist(he hasn't seen it or heard it). he says i should get another one, like a fender. does anyone know about the old kramers? i really like it, but he's got me thinking that i could be doing alot better with something else. :bassist: :help: :bassist:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have been pretty interested in that bass for a little while. Did my homework on em. Good bass, i dont see why he would say they suck..theres nothing really bad about them except the neck kinda causes it to go out of tune in temperature changes.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    He hasn't seen it or heard it but knows it sucks? Don't listen to people with no experience to base their opinions on. Do you like it? Does it make you want to play music?

4. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Ah...Aluminum Neck! I had one many many moons ago (see photo of me-from 1984), a fretless no less! Well this is what I can say about them....the good:
    Sustain Sustain Sustain! I never (and I mean never) played a bass that could hold a note like that Kramer. You could pluck a note, go off and have a bite to eat, come back and it would still be going! (well maybe not not long). Plus for a fretless this bass had growl, punch and that fretless mahwaa like no other. It really was a great sounding bass. I do believe the pickups were stock DiMarzio's (passive)

Now for the bad: Can you say neck heavy! This sucker had some series neck dive problems, sitting or standing. The other problem I had was a northern thing. Doing gigs in the winter when I lived in NY, if the bass was in the car or out in the cold for a bit, the aluminum neck got cold and took awhile to warm up. I got hand cramps a number of times cause of this. Between holding up the neck and the cold...I finally had to give it up.

Now thinking back, I wish I still had it. It did record very well, you never had to adjust the neck and I think it looked cool!!

[​IMG]

5. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I've had one of these for a very long time, and never found it's tuning to be any less stable than a normal wooden necked bass. If you take any bass from a 30 degree truck to an 80 degree stage, it's gonna be out of tune.

EVERYTHING that alembicfive said is true. Sustain and tone for days....neck dive for days, too. I even attached a metal plate to a strap to act as a counterweight. It works, but it's essentially like playing a 12 pound bass. Not bad for a few songs, but not a good idea for all night.

If you like it, that's all that really matters. These basses were very well built. A lot better built than any MIM Fender I've ever played, and certainly on par with a lot of MIA's. Mine is sitting next to a '77 P-Bass, a Warmoth 5, a Modulus Genesis 5, and a Dingwall Afterburner 5, and I have absolutely no plans to sell it. If it was junk, it'd be gone.