Kramer 450B

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ksdaddy, Sep 7, 2002.

1. ksdaddy

Jul 5, 2002
    Caribou, ME
    About 10 years ago, I owned a '78 Kramer 450B with the aluminum neck. The pickups had been changed, and it had cheesy single coils in the humbucker holes (looked stupid, sounded bad). It got swapped off in '94, the same day OJ was in the white Bronco (useless bit of trivia). Well, it reappeared back in March, and I bought it back for $50. The "gymnasium floor" finish had been stripped, and it now has a tung oil finish. The mystery pickups are long gone, and it now has only an EMG Select in the bridge position. It's not a collector's item by any means; clean originals can usually be had for $400 or less. I plan to clearcoat the body back to the decoupage level it originally had. So here I am with two humbucker sized holes, and not a snowball's chance of finding an original set of pickups, let alone the walnut mounting rings. I'm thinking about putting in Dimarzio Model Ones, for a couple of reasons. First, I love anything Dimarzio makes, second, they're black and will not draw attention from the aesthetics of the body, third, there's no mounting ring per se; the pickup will cover the extra screw holes that have been put in over the years. I guess my question is, what has been everyone's experience with the Model Ones, or does anyone have a better solution?
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    You could try a combination of the Model One and (Dimarzio)
    Will Power Neck (DP145). Same size as the Model One with a
    bit less bass.

You could go really bonkers and put in a pair of DiMarzio X2N-B's.
    They're not shown on the site, but D/M still makes `em.
    They're probably as hot (or hotter?) than those big G&L humbuckers -
    about 500mV output. They come in black and white and are
    available here --

A RioGrande "PitBull" will also fit a humbucker-sized hole.
    I dunno know a lot about them, other than they are also
    wired 4-conductor. One with a chrome cap would look much
    like the original Kramer pup (iirc).

chrome or black -