Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kramer aluminum p

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Im thinking about getting a kramer aluminum neck. The thing this p-bass is i the bridge and their is humbucker in the neck. Im wondering how this will sound and will i get a good p-bass sound and how are the playabillity on these aluminum neck basses.

2. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    also what are the other models of these like and how verstial and dependable are they?

3. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    to the hilt.

4. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    i saw one on ebay and was really interested in it (especially for how cheap it was going) and i planned on driving to go play it (was for sale by Abe's Music, not too far from me) but never got the chance. I really think it would have an interesting sound but I'm not sure if it is something I would expect everyone to like. I think of P- pickups as fairly warm sound and I think that might be kinda weird with the tightness normally associated with the bridge. It probably has loads of growl with both pickups on though.

5. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I owned two Kramer aluminum neck basses back in the seventies. One was the 650B equipped with two large "Kramer" humbuckers, the other was a DMZ5000 equipped with DiMarzio P/J's (J at the bridge). They both had a real deep sound with strong fundamentals. The necks are bulletproof-no warping (obviously) and no dead spots. The only down side was that they were definitely neck heavy.

6. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA

I think it's still there, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=3731196979&rd=1

7. I had one of the old Kramer 8's with the aluminum neck. It was a good bass, but it was a medium scale. That shorter scale combined with the metal neck gave it a rather stiff sound, not much low end. Lots of mids though. :hyper:

Dave Starr: Bassist with CHASTAIN & Vicious Rumors

8. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    yep thats the bass. I won the auction now im waiting for it. does anybody know if that is stock lay out or not for the pickups? any guess what year it is as well? dont really care it seems to be a good player for that price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...3731196979&rd=1

9. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl

Please post a sound clip if you can, I'm really interested in hearing this thing. I just bought a Univox HiFlier so another bass purchase is out of the question for a while. It's a really cool looking bass, I wonder why the pickguard is broken like that. In anycase seeing the control cavity looks awesome.

10. Hey, I just saw this thread. I own a Kramer aluminum 4 string with EMG P/J pickups (I will soon replace these with passive Barts). I love the way it sustains, think the neck feels great, and have even learned to deal with the weight, which is, to be sure, a bit over the top. The old EMGs are pretty quiet, which is why I'm gonna try Barts, but I get a great tone for the music my band plays. Also, the thing is indestructible and relatively impervious to temperature changes. Another benefit, the bass is a total conversation piece, although that's not always a benefit, if you know what I mean (like right after a set, while I'm trying to break down my rig). I use flatwounds, and recommend them to mellow out the tone a bit.
    Well, anyhoo, you can check out some pics of me playing the trusty ol' Kramer at my band's website, http://www.thetransmissions.net. There are even a couple of music clips, although I'm only playing on the live track (Traffic). Good luck with the Kramer. Get some Ben-Gay for your left shoulder, you'll need it!

Josh Solberg

11. magrin

magrin

May 5, 2007
    Hi,

I just won a Kramer 650B on ebay and the stings are two high from the ebonol fretboard. This after the four saddles have been completly lowered.

Is there a way I can lower the action more, since there is no truss rod on this bass?

Is it at all possible that the aluminum neck could be warpped?

The sound of this bass is awesome.

12. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I had my 650B back in the 70's, so my memory is a bit hazy. :D
    As far as I recall there are no other adjustments. I doubt the neck is warped. How does it look when you sight down the neck compared to the strings? Check both sides of the neck to be sure.

13. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

maybe there's a problem with the nut...later, ron

14. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Shim the neck.

15. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Shim the neck. This will probably fix it. To check for a warp, fret the string at the 1st and 20th fret (a capo helps). Check the gap between the string and the 8th fret. I like about 1/64 inch (0.0156") of relief but varies a little on the bass. Some folks like a little less, others a little more relief. If you have like 1/8" of relief, that is too much IMO.
    One note. Unlike popular myth, the aluminum necks can be bent out of shape. Don't know if it is a warp from string tension or from a fall/bump. Aluminum is a metal with poor "memory". Once bent out of shape it will not return to it's original shape.

16. ShantiCat

ShantiCat Supporting Member

Yes the neck could be warped. I had one back in the day with a warped neck. I then went on an adventure hitching rides from Ottawa, Canada to Asbury Park, New Jersey to the Kramer shop to get it repaired. I laughed when I saw how they actually fix it...nothing two bricks and standing on the neck could not fix (the repair was a little more refined but not much).

17. The neck body connection leaves a bit to be desired, but if the bolts are not stripped it probably just needs a shim and/or the fasteners tightened. Mine creeps up over the years and the luthier sets it right when I can't stand it any more. If you have them set it up with lighter strings, 100-45, and the shim it should dial right in and be happy for a long time. I went to a wilkerson bridge, too.

I use it for funk and slappin, so the action being up a little doesn't hurt. My neck has stayed the same for thirty years, straight and flat. Its been a great bass. Just watch the tuning between sets and if there are temperature swings, it will change as the neck warms and cools.

How much does yours weigh? My 450B comes in around 13 lbs, heavy metal from the 70's

Good Luck

18. I had one with a quarter pounder in it. Very very aggressive. My body had old pickup routes filled in, and a couple of cracks in the body. It had wood crews and putty filler all over it. My guess is that someone used it as a stage prop and smashed it , maybe several times the way it looks.
    I gigged with it many times and my biggest complaint was the freezing cold neck made my hand numb. It would never warm up since aluminum conducts heat away so quickly. But that was in winter in Fargo and we have some of the coldest weather in the nation.

19. lefty

lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    i have one in a lefty. fretless to boot!
    i have a pj set up with emg's 18 volt
    with a bad a** bridge running flats on it.
    good sounding bass!
    have fun with yours

20. magrin

magrin

May 5, 2007
    Many many thanks for your professional advice.