Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kramer Bass 76 ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kelu, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    Yesterday I went into a bass shop in Lille, I found an old Kramer, the seller tell me that it was from '76, It has a steel neck and weighs very heavy, natural wood with black pickguard, One big pickup with KRAMER written on it..
    I didn't found any photos of it on the web..
    The selller sells it 600euros, is it a good deal??
    I dont think so, the bass sounds great, but... 600euros ! .. :rolleyes:

2. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I've found the bass, its a KRAMER 250B

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    That neck is aluminum, not steel. 600 Euros sounds steep to me. Check ebays completed auctions. I've never played one of the Kramers, but I have one of the new generation of aluminum neck basses, the Vaccaro X-Ray 5. I really like the tone the neck gives, it's bright and agressive and sustains forever, especially w/ new roundwounds. It's a good rock tone but it might not work for other genres.

4. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I have an old Bean/Kramer. The thing absolutely rocks, but I got it off ebay and found it to have a cracking neck joint, which caused the neck to walk around. It's been sitting in pieces for awhile until I finally decide to get off my ass and find a luthier that can fix it.

Nevermind that is has all Barto 'lectrics and actice passive switches/eq out the ying yang.

Heres the shot from the original auction.

http://www.mochunk.net/music/gfx/kramerbean.jpg

The neck itself is not all that heavy, it's very thin. But the body is almost solid Alder, and rather large given the shape. I'd play it onstage though, not terribly heavier than my cirrus 5.

Troll

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    One thing to keep in mind with these old Kramers is that the aluminum will expand or contract while you're playing, which will affect the tuning. A lot.

Kramer discontinued the aluminum neck design for that reason.

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I gig w/ my Vaccaro almost every weekend and have not noted any tuning problems. I tune it every set, just like my other basses, but it's never more than a few cents off.