Kramer basses and guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slick519, Jul 13, 2002.

1. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    hmm, I was just wondering, I knwo that kramer was a pretty prominent guitar maker before its gibson takeover (bass terds!!):mad: oh well, but now, are trhey any good? Their "focus" series looks pretty crappy, but their other lines look kinda nice. Do any of you guys have any experience with kramer basses and guitars?

Im kind of interested about there guitars more than basses because my friend is looking for a guitar, and when ever i post on any other sites, all i ever get is posts like "kramer? they suck!!!" or, "Kramer!!! Yay!! they are the best ever!!!"

by the way, the guitarist is looking at the beretta series, and this would be his second guitar (first one was a hohner rockwood pro, P.O.S. series)

well, thanks for your time and wisdom,
  2. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    they were reckoned decent in their heyday, but now....i'd avoid 'em, i think for the price a better instrument can be had.

the worst instrument i've ever owned was a four string hot pink kramer bass. simply awful.
  3. Jeff2287

May 4, 2002
    What's with the head-shape of kramers? The design makes it look like the higher strings are just asking to snap, being bent at that kind of an angle all the time.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Seems almost hard to believe now that Kramer vansihed around `89 after it was the largest, most successful (in terms of sales), U.S. guitar company of the 80's!!!

I always liked Kramer's guitars/basses better than those of his ex-partner, Travis Bean, because Kramer eventually used beautiful woods in the necks like walnut burl. Beans stayed all-aluminum and not only did they feel "cold" but those that I tried sounded that way, more so than Kramers.
    In the end, I rejected both makes in favor of a Precision because I could "feel" and hear the aluminum in the Kramer and Bean necks.

If your guitarist comes across one, they should give a look at a "super-strat" Kramer made called the Pacer Deluxe. It was pretty hot - a lead humbucker, 2 single-coils wired to a 5-way switch and it had a Floyd Rose.

I think some people tell you Kramers suck because those were really guitars/basses of the 80's, just like Charvel and Jackson. They're not "classic" designs like Fenders and they seem outdated to many people.......associated with "Spandex and hair bands."
  5. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I think you're absolutley right Rick. I personaly love the "80's" looking guitars or basses. If I was playing a heavy style of music, I definatley would prefer a Jackson or Kramer over a BC Rich anyday. A few weeks ago I played a Jackson bass. It was a project that one of the workers at the Jackson factory did in his spare time and it ended up used in a local music store. It was a beautiful sounding bass with two EMG soapbars in it. Your could cut through a brick wall with the tone. I believe it was neck thru to. If I had the 300 bucks he was asking for it, I would be one Jackson bass richer right now.
  6. i've got a focus 2000. i can never remember which line it's the cheaper version of. it's got two humbuckers and a floyd rose trem. i hate the floyd rose. i'll never use it, and if i ever change string guages, i have to have it professionally setup. i do love the tone, though.

i bought it because a friend who played guitar already said if he had the money and needed a second guitar, he'd buy it right away. so i bought it B+). it sounds great clean an distorted. never had a problem with electronics or neck warpage or anything. the only problem is that the floyd rose sticks out the back so i can't put the cover on it..........they're not horrible guitars...well, mine isn't anyway. i can't really talk about the basses or other guitars......

and it's sky blue!! it's a beautiful color.

hard to believe it's almost 20 years old.