Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kramer Basses. I need help.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wicked mr happy, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Can anyone tell me whether or not a Kramer bass is a good choice for a bass. I want to begin playing and I've heard both good and bad about Kramer. If anyone has any information or tips for me, I'd really apreciate it. Specifically the "Focus 420S" and Striker 422S" models. You can check them both out at www.musicyo.com. thanks!

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I was @ musicyo just looking aroung & they have some NICE LLOKING basses/guitars.

I've never played one but I heard that they're not too great. I'd like to order one to see for myself, thou.

3. The Focus 420S, was done in a shootout for bass packages on bass player, and I have a friend who owns one. Essentially its cheap... plywood body, output is really weak, and is plauged by high action, and loose knobs. There is a review on Harmony central where the guy says "replace the jack, the pickups, the pots and pickguard and you have a good bass." Of course by the time you do that, you could afford a different bass.

Striker 422... Only thing bad I've heard about it is that its got the same pot problems as the Focus, they are loose sometimes, and there's a weird rattle in the bass. Its supposed to have a really thin lightweight body, and a nice neck.

4. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    The Focus 420S = bogus

your $89.00 would be better applied to sifting through the used trad-in's at a good local string shop. Many times you can find a good bargian.

I've found lots of them.

Tim

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I have a friend with a Kramer...striker I think - he got it really cheap - although he hates having a cheap bass I think he gets a nice tone out of it. I find it fairly comfortable to play. So maybe if you find one thats used and the price is right and the sound is right you might want to get it - I don't know that I'd devote to much time and energy into finding the right Kramer and I don't think I'd buy one brand new. (These are only opinions and necesarily even good ones)

6. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    You get what you pay for. Try used.

7. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i think people know around here how much i dislike kramer products.there all cheaply made.you'd be better off saving for a used MIM fender jazz or p for around 250-300 in my opinion.

8. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    i think people know around here how much i dislike kramer products.there all cheaply made

Well, the MusicYo ones are.

The ancient fork tongue kramers were pretty good stuff.

i have 3 of them and all (except 1 neck heavey one) are a pleasure to play.
    Proud and powerful.

Tim

9. I owned a kramer focus (now used for spare parts to make my custom 4 string ith me and my guitarist) and i can say, its decent for its price. i mean, its has a decent tone, but the tension kills the sounds. the strings are touching the fret, which gives out the *clank clank clank* My view is, your gonna buy a focus, either sand the frets down, or use the parts for a cusom bass like did:p

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Seriously, buy an Essex at that price range. www.rondomusic.com - some of the pros here at talkbass are gigging them. Not so any other entry level bass other than Danelectro or maybe MIM Fender.

Essex.

I have an old American Kramer Barretta guitar and I should sell it.