Kramer DMZ 4100

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by reggaeman, Aug 9, 2005.

1. reggaeman

Jul 12, 2005
    So I walked into guitar center today and saw this bad boy. I had no idea what it was at first but it caught my eye. Very unique looking and was SOLID. Its like this thing was made out of granite rock. It's definitley an older instrument as I confirmed tonight on the net... I described it as having 'character'. I love how the neck feels!

It sounded great for my style of music as well (reggae) with its P pickups. It had a volume, a tone, and two flip switches that I couldn't quite make out exactly what they did... but switching them around I could definitley hear the tonal results.

My problem is that I just don't know how much this thing is worth. They had it listed at $799 reduced to $599... but it seemed to me that it needed a bit of cleaning up. Restore the bridge, change some of the semi-rused switches. It also has a few dings, scratches, and chips that are minor but are there none the less.

Is $599 a good price for this beast? I was thinking of going in there and offering $400. I'd imagine this thing has been sitting around there for a long time. Does guitar center wheel and deal on used stuff?

One last question: How are the aluminum necks on these bad boys? It seemed sturdy, no dead spots, good action... just never heard of aluminum necks before...

What do you guys think? :meh:
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If it has a single P pickup it's either a 4000 or a 4001. One of the switches should be a coil tap. Some of them had a preamp and the other switch would be for choosing bass boost or treble boost.

$400 is top dollar for one, at $599 they're dreaming especially if it's banged up.

The aluminum necks make for a heavy bass but they have great sustain and you never need to adjust it, it can be set up for super low action.
  3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Nice basses as I recall - you'll need a decent strap to cope with some neck dive. I can't comment on the price other than to say I'd pay that sort of money over here in the UK if I found one.

On the 4000 that I remember there was only one switch and I believe this was a Series/Parallel switch for the two halves of the P style pickup.