1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kramer DMZ 6000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SY37, Oct 5, 2009.

1. SY37

SY37

Aug 31, 2009
    Austin
    I came across a Kramer DMZ 6000 in a vintage guitar store around here. It looks awesome and it felt awesome to play. I didn't get the chance to play it through an amp though.

It's $600. Does anybody know anything about these basses? Is this a good deal for it? Way too expensive? I don't know jack about Kramer. How does the aluminium in the neck effect the tone.

Also, it's fretted up to the 11th fret and frettless from the 12th and on. Never seen that before but I think that's pretty cool!

Please fill me in on anything you know about this Kramer Model.

Thanks!

2. That is pretty cool. I would say $600 is a good price if it is in good condition. Check out the Kramer forum here:
    http://www.kramerforum.com/

3. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/Kramer/DMZ+6000/10/1

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    play it through an amp before you do anything.

5. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Take a fishing scale in there and weigh it. It could go over 13 lbs.
    I've had the 450B for thirty years, it was my first bass.
    Replaced the PU's with Jazz humbuckers, bartolini preamp, replaced the bridge, pulled the frets. So far so good, plays and sound great.

Just too heavy to get any serious time with it.
    Neck dives too. Big straps won't fix it. It wasn't a problem when I was 18 or even 30. Now it kills me after and hour.

Kramer quirks: tuning changes with temperature, get her all warmed up and she gets sharp, let her cool and its flat. Not that big a deal if you are running a tuner in your rack.
    Sustain? Oh yeah. Neck dive? It was climbing the charts on the last TB neck dive review.

IMHO $600 is too much for a Kramer Aluminum that hasn't been souped up. But I see them all the time for more.

If you are serious about one of these, PM me. I might part with my baby if she was going to get played. cheap.

Oh, and I could have written the above review. He was right on.

6. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

I love mine. Just play it...if you like the way it sounds and feels than you should consider it. They're not for everyone, as they are heavy, but I like my basses heavy. With my bad back and all, I still like them heavy. DMZ6 are somewhat of a rare species...$600 sounds fair to me.

7. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Hello.
    Does the Bass Have Crown Inlays?
    DMZ 6000's were more or less on the top end (not that any models were Bad, just some weren't as expensive, or didn't have as much inlay/binding/whatever.

I say you go for it.

8. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    450B from 1976.

Changes:

pups to dimarzio stacked humbucking jazz

Wilkerson bridge

Bartolini preamp

Gold top knobs

Defretted and the fret slots filled with maple.

Ti jazz flats.

13 lbs:eek:

9. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    You should check out the Kramer Club thread..... :)