Kramer Duke replacement p'ups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by justBrian, Mar 23, 2004.

1. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    OK-- Iv'e got an '81 Duke in pretty good shape. I was wondering about the possibilty of swapping the p'ups for something like a MM. There are 2 single coils in it now-- they are under 1 cover. Any ideas?
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

What about your current pickups don´t you like?

What kind of sound are you looking for?

What kind of music do you play?

3. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    OK, let's see if this helps:
    1) I thinkthe tone is really rather thin-- even in series mode
    2) While quite punchy, at least with a pick, there really isn't much bottom to it at all. It always sounds tinny and nasely.
    3) I want something with some more 'oomph' to it, not bite exactly, but more balls.

I play original rock in a 4 piece band-- 2 guitars, bass and drums. I really only got this as a back up/novelty bass. I usually use a G&L LB-100.

Anything else? ;)
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The problem isn't the pickup so much as where it is located, close to the bridge.

The factory pickup is a Schaller, a weird humbucker that looks like two J pickups in a single housing. It's not a "standard" dimension pickup. Measure it carefully and then check dimensions of humbuckers from pickup suppliers and see what might fit. Even then, whether the sound will improve is a crapshoot.

It might be easier to just use EQ to add the bottom you're seeking.
  5. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO

Thanks man. I was hoping I could just swap something in, you know. I had the p'up out last weekend and it is weird. It's in two pieces, but not like you'd expect. Instead of being split in two lengthwise, it's split in half-- so it's like two p pickups. It all needs rewiring, too. Ah well. Hey thanks again.