Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kramer era Spectors

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nails, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I was watching a performance taped off of Letterman a few years back the other day, and the bassist was using a Spector 5 string. But it didn't have the usual EMG soapbars like current NS-5s, instead it had 2 jazz pickups. I was wondering if this bass could be from the Kramer era.

I couldn't get a good look at the headstock so I couldn't see if it had the dual S logo or SSD, however the neck did have the crown inlays and the hardware was gold which leads me to believe it was made in the US, and a neck-thru.

Can anybody shed some light on this for me?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I know that there were some NS-5's w/dual J pick-up's & I think they were from the Kramer era but if you wanted to buy a new Spector, Stuart would probably put a dual J configuration so it's hard to say exactly what year the bass is.

3. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    The video is from around 94 or 95. I'm not sure when Spectors were underneath Kramer, and I also don't know when the bass was bought to begin with. But looking at spectorworld.com under the Spector locator someone is selling a black US neck thru with dual J pickups from the Kramer era. So I feel like the bass in question is from the Kramer era, just wanted to get some help from someone more informed than myself.

Thanks for the help Nino, and you got here faster than I expected. I knew you were one of the resident Spector experts and all, but I wasn't expecting a reply so fast.

4. The Kramer/Spector era was from 1986-1990. The SSD name was used from 1992-1996. Likely this was a custom made bass and not a specific model.

5. There's a four string white P/J Kramer Spector for
    sale at German Music Village Haus in Columbus for
    $450.00 with the case. The number is 614 228 8467. Ask for Bill Foley ( the owner) he can tell you lot's about them. The one that he has looks new.

I'm not trying to sell anything, just passing some imformation.

6. For that price it has to be the Korean made NS-2A Spector.

7. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I had one of those once - sounded okay, but eventually it developed some very bad neck problems. Check the neck carefully!

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    SSD makes or used to make a Spector with two J style pickups in it. If you ask SSD to send you their catolog you will see the bass Im talking about, I wrote away for one about 5 or 6 years ago give or take a year. And it had them in there.