Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kramer Focus 420S - Cheap, but excellent

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by snfjtu, Mar 27, 2001.

1. snfjtu

snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000
    At $89.99, I got this as a sort of practice instrument. Holy crap, it sounds good actually! I play through a Hartke Kickback 12, and I was just shocked at the quality of sound from this bass. I was able to get some really great rock sounds out of it - think Faith No More, Rush, and that sort of thing. I would recommend this as a bass to anyone who is on a tight budget, and likes that aggressive rock tone. It does slap really well, but then when you want to play something smooth and melodic it sounds good too.

It's very solid and well constructed also. The only thing is, I didn't like any of the finishes, so I just got the red one and I am stripping it and putting a tung oil finish on it. I wanted it in a natural finish, but that part of it is gonna be "do it yourself" for me. I would definitely suggest this bass to a beginner, or even someone who doesn't have alot of money in their pocket and wants a bass to play live or record with.