Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kramer fretless 4 with aluminum neck - approx 30 yrs old

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by tzadik, Mar 9, 2006.

1. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    I have a fretless Kramer with aluminum neck and the funky double-pronged headstock.

I believe is 30-35 years old but I don't know. It's tough as nails and sounds gorgeous.

It's not in rotation anymore and I'm sick of seeing it collect dust.

It's a darker walnut color with lighter stripes. Pics to come.

It's old, so it has quite a few dings and imperfections in the finish, all or which are cosmetic.

It's also extremely rare and I have never seen one exactly like it.

Make me an offer. I'm moving and I just have tooo many.

Please email me directly because I am not here all the time: fretless at gmail.com

2. Does it look anything like this?
    [​IMG]

3. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Mnnn..Not rquite. But I just took some pics....

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

5. What pickups are those?

I borrowed a fretted one just like yours for several months and also owned 3 other aluminum Kramer basses. All the ones I have seen came with Schaller pickups usually with exposed allen type pole pieces and cream colored covers. Yours may have been upgraded, which may not be bad thing.

Peace,
    S

6. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    EMG. I am pretty sure they are original - but I have no documentation on it.

7. Very cool bass. I'm trying to figure out what it is. It's got cues from both the DMZ series and the Stagemaster series but doesn't really look like either one.

What makes Kramers so hard to identify is there were frequent running changes on existing models. To complicate matters even more, employee theft was a serious problem for the company. There were literally truckloads of instruments and parts stolen from the premises, so many instruments were "manufactured" in basements and garages all over the Jersey shore.

To the best of my knowledge all P/J Kramers came from the factory with either Kramer Spectrum, DiMarzio, or Schaller pickups. The EMG's would be (IMHO) one of the best things you could do for that bass - they made mine come alive.

8. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    Looks like a DMZ5000 to me, with a slightly different control layout.
    [​IMG]

9. I thought so, too - but then the body shape (most noticeably in the upper horn area) is different, the maple (I'm assuming) body strips aren't configured in the same way as every DMZ5000 I've seen, and the bridge is different (which could also easily be an upgrade).

10. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Sale fell through, by no fault of its own. Woo me with your offers. I am moving, it has to go.[​IMG][​IMG] I do have that little plate, by the way, it has one screw - one is missing.

11. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ

12. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    :> ...but I don't want to research it, I want YOU to buy it and research it yourself!!!

Seriously - thanks for the info. May it be useful to the new owner.

The dude I got the bass from had it for over 30 years. That's what I know. I can ask him if he bought it new - he's a good guy and runs my favorite local music shop... always asks after this bass when I see him.

13. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    How much are you asking?

14. newburyohio

newburyohio Banned

Feb 15, 2002
    USA
    that is a 650b Artist 1978 (not stock) that someone has turned into a fretless and changed the pickups