Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kramer/Spector-SSD-Spector=????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Limo, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Kramer/Spector

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. SSD

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Spector (the latest)

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I'm wondering what are the difference i these basses (I know they are all made by Spector) and in what way, are there much difference in these basses and why does it seem to be that SSD basses are not as popular as other Spectors.

any info at all about Spectors are great

thanks

2. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    I voted for SSD - I played a couple of the earlier SSD models, and due to the 34" scale length on the 5 string models, I definitely found what I prefer.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I dunno. My 34" SSD is very comfortable. Since then, the neck profile seems to have slimmed down a touch, and the fingerboard seems a touch wider.

But, the only thing that I really have noticed on the newer ones that I like more is the abalone inlays. For that reason, I voted for the new ones. But, I'd take my Spector just as easily.:D

4. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I'm looking for some info please:bassist:

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I like the modern spector line the best. I guess the overall design is just a little more comfortable and I like the way they look a little more.

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    All of them are great. not much diff in those basses, except for a little few exceptions. they are all good, just get any of one of them.

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yah Polly's right..after all, they are all Spectors!! :D:D:D

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There are a few subtle differences, that's for sure. Like I said in my earlier post, the neck profile has changed slightly from the SSD to those on the market now. However, being that they're hand carved, even those today can vary slightly from one-another.

Another change that's more prominent took place after Stuart reacquired the company from Kramer. For the first time, he started using 18-volt EMGs. Also for the first time was graphite stiffening bars in the neck. Back then, he was getting accolades for tight "B" strings on the 34" necks by Bass Player Magazine.

A few years ago he started incorporating 35" scales, though I think it doesn't do any good.

Other than that, there are really no differences. Call PJ Rubal at Spector if you have a chance. He's not only their sales manager but also a huge collector, as I understand it. He's got models from many different years.