Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

kramer, travis bean, vaccarro anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jim primate, Mar 7, 2004.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

anyone ever play any aluminum necked basses? what're your opinions of them? i see the kramers and vaccaros on ebay all the time and wondering why the travis beans are an arm and a leg while the kramers and vaccaros are so cheap. anyone got any insight?

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have a Kramer Fretless, shortscale. I really like the sound it gives. Alot of people do not like them.

Also keep in mind that they are neck-heavy and extra steps have to be taken to prevent that. I use a huge (4") leather strap with raw hide on the part where it contacts your shoulder and it works fine with no dive. If you like your bass to stay almost vertical probably not the bass for you.

I can't comment on the other versions because i never even seen one of those others.

I bought mine for $350 and I have really enjoyed it (1st fretless).

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've got a Vaccaro XRay 5 that I really like -- strong aggressive tone that's made for rock. I did add an EMG preamp to it. Sustain for days. It is a bit heavy. The original Travis Beans are more expensive because they were the first, there aren't that many of them, and because the aluminum goes all the way through to the bridge, giving 'em sustain for weeks.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Travis Beans cost more because they were more expensive when new AND made in smaller quantities AND played by some big name artists (Jerry Garcia, Bill Wyman).

I have a Kramer Duke (headless) at home and it's a very well made instrument. They used quality parts throughout the line...Schaller tuners and bridges and DiMarzio pickups on many models.

Metal neck Kramers are going up in price for no good reason as far as I can tell...few players seem to actually like them. I only bought the Duke because it was wicked cheap ($150) at the time.

5. I've played 2 shorscale Beans. Didn't care much for them. One was the Bill Wyman style (music store owner was a HUGE Bill Wyman fan) and one was a green Wedge. I think that thing had issues, but neither did anything for me.

I owned Travis Bean #117. I didn't like that either. But it was cool.

6. Proud owner of Travis Bean #398. Very cool bass, very powerful and unique. It'll rip your head off if you want bite and it can get very thumpy like a pbass also if needed. Sustain for years...