1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kramer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Paul gago, Dec 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Paul gago

Paul gago

Dec 26, 2017
    hi would someone be able to give me the year of this Kramer bass serial number is 40578 I am about to get it restored it is still a lovely bass to play and having owned it for over 20 years I am trying to get a bit more info cheers

Attached Files:

2. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Mid eighties would be my guess.

Paul gago likes this.
  3. tim gueguen

tim gueguen

Sep 19, 2016
    Looking a bit at Kramer fan sites it looks to be part of their DMZ series of basses, so it's from 1981 or earlier if I understand correctly.

Paul gago likes this.
  4. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    I can't get www.vintagekramer.com to come up on this work computer - it's blocked, for some inane reason - but you might want to give it a look. The aluminum necks went away in the early '80s, so it's no newer than that. It looks like one of the DMZ series, and except for the very early DMZ 1000s (which that one definitely isn't) it should be an active bass. But, IIRC, all DMZs after that early transition batch, should be a P-J pick up configuration. I can't recall ever seeing a Kramer Lumie with 2 P-Bass pick ups... But, with these instruments, that means nothing, really. Kramer was liable to do pretty much anything back then - just because they could, evidently. I have a couple of them - a Duke and a Forum III - that aren't much like the catalog description at all. As for the serial number? Don't expect much there. Kramer records are very, very sketchy - at best. Post the picture on the Kramer Owners Forum here; lots of knowledgeable people there, who can tell you more than I can. That is a sweet looking bass, though...:thumbsup:

Paul gago likes this.
  5. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    They started out in the mid '70's, I had a '79 DMZ 4000 myself. Im not sure when they phased out the aluminum neck, but I do remember the painted finishes came out later, along with the "duke".

6. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Kramer Stagemaster. Can't see the bottom of your bass, but.. if it's like this, it might be be a Stagemaster; although it's been heavily modified if it is. As I said, this is the typical pick up arrangement for most of Kramer's DMZ-on basses. Lot more knobs and switchesthan yours, too. Stagemasters - and the headless Dukes - were the last of Kramer's aluminum necked instruments. They were dropped in 1985. Personally? The only thing I'd do to that bass is;
    - clean and polish it (Nevr Dull works great on the aluminum - my 450B and Dukes necks look like chrome);
    - give the electronics a once over;
    - make sure the tuners are the original Schallers, and replace them if they aren't; and
    - put a Schaller 3D-4 bridge back on it.
    Then, I'd become a really proud member of the Kramer Owners Club - and play the snot out of that bass...:thumbsup: