1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Krappy Instrument on the way. What else will I need?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Reg Braithwaite, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Reg Braithwaite

Reg Braithwaite

Oct 21, 2018
    Toronto,
    So this happened today: Krapmeister Kevin Siebold sent me this picture of my instrument. It will be shipping soon, and I need to get ready!

unnamed.

I'm obviously very excited. That being said, I'm a complete n00b at these things, especially electronic things. What am I going to need in order to get started learning the instrument?

Off the top of my head, I wonder:
    1. Will I need a shoulder strap, or can I play it with just the lap bar? If I need a strap, where can I get one?
    2. Is there a simple setup for going from the stereo instrument to headphones?
    3. Where does one buy strings for "touchstyle" instruments? The five bass strings look to be bass strings, but where does one get melody strings to fit this scale length?
    Honestly, I don't even know what questions to ask. What do I need to get to, well, get started?

Thanks in advance...

saabfender and gebass6 like this.
  2. Rock Salad

Rock Salad

Jun 30, 2018
    Tulsa, Ok. USA
    Ask the guy you're getting it from some of these questions?
    I think there are some "the Stick" threads here.

3. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    I understand you'll need some Febreeze.

4. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Kalium or Octave4 Plus strings.

Reg Braithwaite likes this.
  5. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Mel Bay probably has a book for it.:woot:

creaturegods likes this.
  6. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Congrats!Now get ready to dig in!
    A "touchstyle"instrument is something that takes quite a while to learn and master two handed independence.
    Whether inexpensive or not.

SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  7. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    1. It looks like there is a strap button on the lap bar. I bet you can play it standing up.
    2. Buy a small Behringer or, better yet, the little Yamaha mixer and plug one output into channel one and the other into channel two, set them the same and turn up the volume knobs until you see flashing lights. Turn down master volume and plug in headphones. That are not already on your head. If you don’t hear ear shattering volume coming out of them, put them on your head and slowly turn up the master volume until you hear something.
    3. Ask Kevin. He’ll know where to get strings. He is a super stand up guy. Wasted too much of his time earlier this year asking about a fretless three stringer. He was a class act all the way through. Like his stuff.

8. Reg Braithwaite

Reg Braithwaite

Oct 21, 2018
    Toronto,
    Which Yamaha mixer is that?

9. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Gonna need a lot more fingers from the look of things

I'm betting that's the Yamaha MG06X mixer being referred to. I have a small monitoring outfit set up with a Behringer Xenyx 502 that routes onboard sound or audio interface sound out to speakers/headphones nicely; I wouldn't record thru it but it works fine where it sits, and the Yamaha's got extra bells & whistles for fun (and is a Yamaha).

Also: that is seriously cool. I was enamored of the idea of the Chapman stick when I was younger (but never had any kind of money for something like that), and think hammer-on instruments in general have a really attention-grabbing character.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  10. Reg Braithwaite

Reg Braithwaite

Oct 21, 2018
    Toronto,
    It might be. My playing on the other hand...

Whoops, an accidental joke!

FWIW, I didn't set out to order a dedicated stick. What I first emailed him about was making me an eight-string bass, something more like an NS/Stick, an instrument that could be played like a bass, but would also support some tapping.

He talked me into jumping into tapping with both feet, although he did suggest something heretical by Chapman Stick standards: This instrument is tuned "uncrossed parallel fourths," unlike the Stick's "crossed and mirrored inverted fifths and fourths."

I wanted to try one of Bach's two-part inventions. Thus, 1. tapping, and 2. an instrument with enough strings that the two hands don't run into each other, seemed like a good idea. And here I am, awaiting the postman's knock.

11. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Have fun with your Krap!

12. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Yes; You will need:
    - A Crummy strap;
    - A set of Really Lousy round wound strings; and
    - A Worthless POS pick.
    Then you'll be good to go...;)
    Seriously, though; I've heard and read pretty good things about Krappy basses, but.. that one's a new one on me. I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it, though. Play on, Brother; Play on...:thumbsup:

saabfender and gebass6 like this.
  13. Reg Braithwaite

Reg Braithwaite

Oct 21, 2018
    Toronto,
    Nice try, but I don't think so...

14. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

They do smell funny. In fact, you may have to keep it in the garage

15. Reg Braithwaite

Reg Braithwaite

Oct 21, 2018
    Toronto,
    You seem to be under the delusion that my house smells nicer than my trash heap. I actually expect the Krappy Instrument to freshen things up.

16. JesterJoker010

JesterJoker010

Nov 4, 2018
    Sounds like a controversial way of tapping, jumping on the stick with your feet. o_O

saabfender likes this.
  17. w3stoner

w3stoner

Nov 30, 2016
    I’ve had my Krappy for about a year and half? Love it. I run the left/right through a small mixer as mentioned above. I’m tuned in a semi-crafty tuning. Kevin is a great guy !

I’ve got a mobile practice rig that’s a Korg Pandora for each channel fed into a small two channel mixer that’s designed for motorcycle drivers.

Prep for some fun

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  18. thewildest

thewildest

May 25, 2011
    Montreal
    I play a Warr Guitar, and really enjoy tapping/touch-style instruments, so congrats on your choice. I am surprised by your string configuration, first time I see the bass to be played mostly with your right hand. On the other hand (no pun intended) this config would turn the lower strings to a “normal” bass.... interesting.

From here, the path leads to the point of no return, as combinations of things you could do are endless. I would suggest independent audio paths for each side/hand, to enhance the contrast and eventuall run separate effect/amplification sets. Also, thin guitar strings are no match for thicker/fuller bass strings, so you will probably want to do some compressing on the bass side while maximizing the expression on your treble side.

A normal strap will be sufficient, but if you run too much into neck diving, you could implement that small neck belt you need to use with a Stick (I personally don’t like the solution)

Regarding strings, labella makes most of the strings for this type of instrument, as they can customize the lenght. Try to find a Labella distributor that can produce them for your needs.

Try using thick gauges, you’ll want to have sustain on the thinner strings

Best of luck!!

19. Reg Braithwaite

Reg Braithwaite

Oct 21, 2018
    Toronto,
    Only if I play crossed, as is usual with a Stick. If I play _uncossed_, the bass strings are played with the left hand, and the melody strings are played with the right. Maybe after a while I will change to a more usual tuning, and learn to play crossed.

I have read that this setup is easier to learn, but that the standard tuning is more efficient and easier on the wrists. But I have no experience, so what can I do except play and learn?

gebass6 likes this.
  20. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis