1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kratom - is it dangerous?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tlc1976, Jun 24, 2017.

1. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    I did a search and found this thread.

DEA to make Kratom a medicinal plant related to coffee Schedule 1 sept 30th

Which conflicts a lot of what I find on google.

So anyway, my 16 year old daughter, maybe 100 lbs, is with me for a few more weeks this summer. Found out tonight her mom has been giving her Kratom (don't know how much), after she had a meltdown today which is rare. She said she needed more Kratom. We never heard of it and the health food store gave my gf a funny look. So I did some reading about the so called addictive effects and all, and now I don't think it's such a good idea. I'd think if it's only sold in a smoke shop it's probably not legal for kids. Seems like a good way to get the CPS on me.

I plan to take her to the doc in the morning and see if there's anything that needs to be done, or if there's something else she can take that's not going to get me in trouble for the time being. 2 more years and she can do whatever she wants.

So my question to anyone with experience with this stuff, are these warnings nothing but hype from the drug industry? Or can you actually get messed up from this stuff?

2. I don't know much about Kratom, but seeing it's going to be illegal soon I'd i imagine it would be best to get her off it asap.

Gaolee and tlc1976 like this.
  3. It's used quite often in Thai herbal remedies, including a drug that's supposed to stave off AIDS for the HIV infected. They also brew it into a tea.

Thai Officials Call for Cancellation of AIDS ‘Miracle Cure’ Distribution Amid Controversy

I think it's being touted as a fix for ADHD in Western countries.
    as you've seen, it can be addictive

3 Dangers of Kratom: Drug Interactions, Dependence, & Lack of Regulation

"
    kratom withdrawal includes side effects, such as muscle and bone pain, tremors, nausea, fatigue, runny nose, mood swings, and hostility. A more serious withdrawal syndrome may include hallucinations, delusions, and confusion.

Emotionally, kratom withdrawal may include symptoms like depression, or even trouble feeling pleasure, anxiety, and insomnia.
    "

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    tlc1976 likes this.
  4. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb

Apr 23, 2014
    More from Healthline: Medical information and health advice you can trust. - Kratom: Is It Safe?

tlc1976 likes this.
  5. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    Went to the doc this morning, they said my insurance couldn't be validated on a weekend. Odd because I've had the same insurance for 8 years, and me and her have gone there multiple times, often on weekends. So we will try again Monday.

6. I forgot that Kratom is illegal in Thailand, but mostly because they couldn't figure out a way to tax it.
    You wouldn't know it though, because it's available in any herbal meds shop & I'm pretty sure they put it in some of the medicinal moonshines that are sold throughout the country.
    The reason I believe this is because of the withdrawal symptoms I've seen in heavy drinkers of the stuff, just like what I read earlier about Kratom.

hmm, she doesn't actually say what the herbs are

Ya_Dong_2.
    this is what it looks like when they're mixing it

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  7. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy... Supporting Member

Talkdrugs: :hyper:

8. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy... Supporting Member

What mom is regularly giving her 16 year old daughter this kind of stuff? Jebus.........

9. Taken by itself, it does have a calming effect.
    kids in South Thailand take it with other drugs & get high as a kite

by that I mean over the counter stuff, but then again everything is OTC in the Land of Smiles :roflmao:
    (reminding myself why I love it there so much)

add:
    stating that people in Thailand are relaxed is a huge understatement -

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  10. Anything addictive with withdrawal that requires you to repeatedly up the dosage to maintain equilibrium is the definition of dangerous.

tlc1976, Aberdumbie and fdeck like this.
  11. So did you get to the doc yet?

12. It's only Sunday in Michigan.
    I'm reminded if the Y2K project I worked on. Our first reporters on whether the crap hit the fan were from NZ & they reported all clear.

13. I've heard of it being a way to help people to get off opiates, but never for anything else. I don't think it should be scheduled. It needs to be researched more. However I would never give anything to someone so young. Adults should be able to use whatever they want. But a developing brain should be left to grow in a clean, natural body.

14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I know nothing of kratom other than it was recently outlawed here. I only know this because a few of the gas stations around here put up signs telling customers kratom had been made illegal and would no longer be available in that store. The first time I saw one of those signs I asked the girl behind the counter what it was all about . She said it got outlawed because kids were getting high on it. I looked behind her at the walk in beer cave and considered the irony, then left without a word.

15. ha, here we go about taxation....
    alcohol is properly taxed, as well as the tobacco

this is why Thailand made kratom illegal as well

16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Actually, government is not at the heart of the kratom issue down here. It's pressure from the other subject we are not allowed to discuss that prompted the ban.

17. It's literally falling off the trees in Thailand, so trying to make it illegal is pretty laughable :smug:

18. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Guns?
    Darnit, I just said "guns"!
    Darnit, I said it again! :atoz:

19. Mixing speaker cabinets?