Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Krell, anybody here own one or tried one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j-raj, Aug 15, 2005.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I'm curious about Krell Power Amps. I saw one on BG and knew that AJ played one (I saw it in back of him on Calle 54), but I was wondering if TB'ers had much knowledge about them.

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, but you are venturing into near-taboo "audiophile land"! ;) They are somewhat of a love 'em or hate 'em kind of amp, typcially with very strong low end performance (some argue that they are overly hyped in the lows).

PM for more, if you like...

Tom.

3. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    Now I'm curious too. Please tell me more. I like hearing about things that I don't have the money for.

Myron

4. Stereophile Magazine Class A rated components includes the Krell FPB 350mc monoblocks @ $17,500/pair, 350Wpc into 8 ohms, 700Wpc into 4 ohms and a whopping 1400 into a 2 ohm load. 28 Motorola high-speed high-current bipolar output devices per chassis.
    Not for the feint of heart or pocketbook.

You will begin to hear terms such as "powerfull bass, full harmonic palette, transparent, coherent, and textured midrange, plus sweet, engaging highs... like putting your nose into a heady 50-year old Armaganc" J-10: Vol.23 No.8 issue of Stereophile Magazine.

http://www.stereophile.com for more info or http://www.krellonline.com

returning to the real world now, but yeah I have heard these through Wilson Audio, and Avalon Acoustics products and they are phenomenal.

BEAR

5. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    I auditioned Krell and SimAudio/Moon for my home system. I felt the Krell was VERY powerful, but not very musical. One might say....."clinical". The SimAudio on the other hand, had lots of power and control, but was one of the most musical amps I had heard. Guess which one is in my rack?
    I don't know why you would consider one for bass guitar though. SUPER heavy, and not alot of power for the weight.
    Corey

6. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Anthonys tone was line out not miked he said but it sounded pretty clinical to me. Listen to Mark Johnson on upright through an SWR 350 and Goliath II with Elaine Elias. Whoa!
    The Krell are an ancient an evil race that the Marvel, Captain Marvel battled to keep us safe so we could play bass etc.

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I agree. While Krell amps have many great qualities, I found that they tended to make all bass - even unamplified upright - sound like electric bass. The Sim/Moon gear is great, too. I heavily considered their amps, along with Edge, but ended up falling head over heals in love with the sound of Theta Digital amps. Very musical, with extremely good imaging.

But no, I wouldn't want to lug my Enterprises to a gig! ;)

8. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Actually, The Krell were the ancient super intelligent race from the 50's sci-fi flick, The Forbidden Planet.

I used a Krell amp to power my Apogee Scintilla back in the mid-80’s. It was the only amp on the market that could handle the 1 Ohm load.

I gave up the Krell/Apogee for tubes and horns. I didn't know anybody used them to power a bass cabinet

Bill

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    For more information (and opinions) on Krell amps (and anything else relating to audiophile gear), check out:

Audiogon

They have some great forums there, as well as a good marketplace section.

Tom.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    +1 on the SimAudio power amps.

If I had money to burn, I'd be bassing through a MM TD-1 into a Moon W-10.

11. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    You are correct. I was speaking of the Kree so I'm in the wrong thread. So have you heard that Kree Teraflop .9 that is not only a starship engine but a great bass amp?

12. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    What are you running? Klipschorns/Mc30 or DRD45 here.

13. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Close. I had McIntosh MC275. But that was several system versions ago. I dumbed down a few years ago and swapped my turntable/tubes/electrostats for a 65" TV, surround receiver and 5 Dunlavy monitors. What used to be my dedicated music room with one chair turned into a Home Theater with sofas & risers.

Bill
    I still run my computer speakers from a pair of Single Ended Triode amps!

14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    A while ago i too auditioned a krell,and did not like it as much as some other power amps.I settled with a Chord spa2232,which works very,very well(480 watts per side into 8 ohms)!!:oops: Plus I already had a fridge.:oops:

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    nice. :p

16. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    sorry, I might be missing the joke, but if not I'll mention my temporary choice for "audiophile" bass amp.

after I sold my swr bass 350 and had a spare RBI lying around I hooked up my BRYSTON 2B (60w/ch 150w bridged at 8ohms) into my rack. The sound was nice and warm compared to the SWR, but not loud enough for loud gig and Bryston did not recommend me running it lower than 8ohms. :bawl:

I've always wanted a larger/newer/clearer bryston for my home stereo. I'm a recovering/relapsing audiophile wannabe... :oops:

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I'm a "pro audiophile" myself. I'll trade exotic cosmetics for performance and lower cost any day. ;)

18. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Wanna buy a pair of OCM 500's? Nothing to look at, but GREAT sounding!:cool:
    Corey

19. Captain Marvel was basically Marvel's best B-list hero ever.