Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kristin Korb - She can play and sing!

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by ctcruiser, Dec 15, 2005.

1. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    I just had a chance to see Kristin Korb last night in a small club called Galli's in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. Her playing seemed so effortless, all the while she is singing as well.

She and pianist Llew Mathews played a variety of songs: from ballads to upbeat tunes. Her solos were great while she played all over the fingerboard.

There is a funny twist to my going to the show.

I was lucky to be in Orange county, CA this week on business. I had made reservations weeks ago to be there for her show. At the last minute, my boss asked if I would go out to dinner with him and some clients, so I reluctantly called the club to cancel my reservations. While at dinner, my cell phone rings and when I answered, it was Kristin calling asking where I was. They had a table waiting for me and that I better get up there. (I had left my cell number when I had made the reservation). She told me later that when she arrived, they told her that someone who had made a reservation to see her show had cancelled at the last minute. As a goof, she made the call.

So I rushed through dinner with the boss and clients and drove the hour up to the club from Irvine. They had a table waiting for me right next to Kristin. Between sets, I walked up to her and asked if she was always in the habit of calling customers who cancel their reservations. She laughed and we chatted briefly. (She is using Obligatos and a Fishman Full Circle.) I also met the pianist, Llew Mathews and then sat down for the final set.

As an old newbie, it was a great experience to watch a great bassist up close.

In was a fun evening and the music was terrific. If you are in the LA area, you should give her a listen.

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I've never seen her sing, but I've seen play a few times and she is quite a player. Does some really tasty stuff walking and soloing.

-tk

3. mdcbass

mdcbass Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Seacoast of NH
    Yes, indeed! She's got wonderful phrasing.

4. She is Amazing, her playing upright and singing like that, all I can compare her to is Barbara Mandrell singing and playing pedal steel, just seems impossible. I'm totally impressed by Kristin Korb

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    LOL. Good one.

Dustin can actually play piano pretty well. He played a whole set with my trio one time at the Four Seasons.