Kristoffer Gildenlow no longer in Pain of Salvation

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Twistad, Feb 22, 2006.

1. From the band's website:

We are sad to announce that Kristoffer is of now no longer a member of Pain of Salvation. After having been the band's bass player since 1994, he has now kindly been asked by the other members to leave the band. The separation derives from growing difficulties to function together as a band since Kristoffer moved to Holland a few years back.

The band's own statement:
    "We are a band who loves to play music together, and who values being a real band rather than a project that functions on distance. Being a tight unit welded together musically and personally is an important part of the band's soul; and constantly being decimated while composing, rehearsing, and even recording, simply proved impossible in the long run.
    Kristoffer has grown to become a tremendous bass player during the years with Pain of Salvation and it is with sadness that we now see him go, but since this logistic situation will not change within the coming years, we unfortunately see no other choice."

This sucks, he was one of my favorite bassist and the reason why i've been craving for a fretless.
  2. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    You know i've only got entropia, which i liked and wanted to check out this bands other stuff. I heard "Be" was more atmospheric\experimental...:confused:
  3. Kazuki

Aug 14, 2004
    That's indeed sad news. Kristoffer *is* a very talented, bassist, I really dig his fretless work on The Perfect Element pt. 1.

Though I understand the band's decision, it's still a big loss.
  4. Try "Remedy Lane" - amazing stuff. Great songwriting.

I don't know who their new bassist will be but I wish it was me. :smug:
  5. janek65

Apr 7, 2005
    Exerpt from PoS website:
    ==== snip ====
    We have decided not to stress this, we will take all the time needed to find the perfect bass player. There is no replacement bass player under consideration as of yet, but since so many bass players have already started contacting us, we might as well make clear what is needed for this task, to save some people the trouble:

The premises:
    1. You are a very, very good bass player that masters slapping/tapping/finger/pick on both fretted and fretless 6-string basses.
    2. You are a fast learner with a very good ear.
    3. You have a good voice with a decent range and are used to singing harmonies.
    4. You are driven and responsible and can learn the earlier albums basically on your own.
    5. You live in Sweden, or maybe you are so rich that you can take a private jet there two or three times a week. In any case, there will basically be rehearsals that often, and you need to be able to be there somehow.
    6. You are a nice girl or a boy of say 20-35 that loves music in many forms.
    7. You don't do drugs, and you are very restrictive with alcohol (never a drop before a show).

The bonuses:
    8. You feel at home on stage and can spend tons of energy without having your playing suffer.
    9. You have a driver's license.
    10. You take an interest in world issues and politics. You probably think that Gandhi's march for salt or his burning of passports were braver political actions than Bush's war on terror.
    11. You look cool.

So, is this you, or anyone you know? In that case, you are welcome to introduce yourself <mailto:> to us, preferrably with some photos and sound samples. As already mentioned, we are in the process of recording the next album and we will most likely
    not bring a new member in before this album is done. However, we said the same thing back in 1998 but then we found Johan, so you never know...

==== snip ====

d**n -
    heh, my slapping sucks and my 6string ehm...
    i don't live in sweden and my private jet just crashed :smug:
    i'm not that nice.
    i'm too old.
    i certainly don't like all music.
    i tend to drink a bit more than that.
    i don't look cool? :D

that rules me out :crying:
    what about you :bassist:
  6. steve21

steve21 Banned

Sad to hear him go... he was awesome.

If the new player fits all those criteria it should be an awesome addition.
  7. ja ja ja....

I only play 4 strings, my singing voice sucks, I drink a little too much, specially at shows, I'm too old, I live in Puerto Rico and my private Jet is in the shop... well, maybe I should stick to my band...:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ooo, this sounds cool. wonder if barbara would move. hmm. :hyper:
  9. EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA

YO JT you should do it!! Screw the fretted or fretless 6-string - that's beginner's stuff. Go with the double neck fretted/fretless 9-string damn it all. :D

That's a real shame. Did you know that Kristoffer is the lead singer's (daniel gildenlow) brother? Man this is my favorite band. I hope they can find a new bassist that fits in.