Krivo Humbucking Magnetic Upright Bass Pickup buzzing noise

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Seedy, May 25, 2016.

1. Seedy

Seedy

May 25, 2016
    Colorado Springs
    Hi,
    I have the Krivo Humbucking Magnetic Upright Bass Pickup. (the old bigger model) I love them! Problem is that after a few months of playing, I start getting a buzz. I have 2 of them because I never know when they are going to start buzzing. When the first one went out, I purchased the spare with the intention of fixing the other. Now I have two buzzing Krivos. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have zero electronics ability, Im colorblind so never had a chance to really get into electronics. The Pickups do see alot of use. I do about 100+ shows a year. I remove them after every show and keep them in a protected box inside a protected case. I try to make sure the wire is always supported and never hanging. I guess Id like to get some ideas where its failing and what could I possibly be doing wrong. Im in Colorado so if anyone with the proper skills would like to look at them and make a little extra cash fixing them, please reach out. Thanks!

2. I think the older models were more prown to buzzing.
    They're probably picking noise on the AC line, like dimmers, neon lighting.
    I had one years ago and sold it back very rapidly for that reason.

3. Seedy

Seedy

May 25, 2016
    Colorado Springs
    Hi Francois,
    What I think you're talking about is a grounding issue. That isnt the issue here.... wish it was... haha... All the usual suspects have been eliminated, i.e., cables, grounding etc.. Thanks though!

4. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    The older ones WERE noisy, which is why he changed the design. I have the newer version - dead quiet, even around neon signs, dimmer switches, etc..

5. Seedy

Seedy

May 25, 2016
    Colorado Springs
    Hi Dan,
    When I say older, I mean Ive purchased the first one about 18 months ago. It lasted about 9 months with no problems, no noise... pure bliss. All the volume I ever wanted, adequate tone, no buzz, no unwanted noises. Then, one gig, had a buzz. I purchased the second one about 9 months ago... Same thing. A short time after I purchased the second one they released the new smaller version. I feel like these should work. Im hesitant to spend another $189.99 on the new model when I invested a considerable amount of cash on 2 of the previous models. They should work.

dan1952 likes this.
  6. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    What's Krivo say about it?

Studiodawg likes this.
  7. Seedy

Seedy

May 25, 2016
    Colorado Springs
    contacted them through their website. No response yet. Just sent it today though so I have faith. :)

8. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    He will get back to you. I have two of his DB pickups and am talking to him about a custom job. He's a one man show so you have to allow for that but he's been really good to deal with.

9. Seedy

Seedy

May 25, 2016
    Colorado Springs
    awesome.. good to hear. Thanks!

10. Seedy

Seedy

May 25, 2016
    Colorado Springs
    So he got back to me. Wow.... What a dude. Still not sure where the problem actually is but hes quick to help and make sure I have what I need. Ive tried so many different pickups and the Krivo sounds good in any situation. Always pushed a strong signal that you can not just hear but feel.... If I had to buy one every year I would be ok with that. haha.. I read your post that mentioned arthritis and such. My hands are definitely feeling the wrath of playing. The Krivo has been like Motrin for me. :)

dan1952 and Jeff Bonny like this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021