Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ksd 5-string on layaway

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by d_money, Dec 11, 2004.

1. d_money

d_money

Jun 13, 2004
    Well, I as well as others have been waiting on the KSD five strings to come in and they finally arrived on this week. I heard about it and I went on Thursday. I was so blown away at how well they sounded. It's not that I thought they wouldn't sound good, but you know how you anticipate something that's coming out, and when you finally get to see it you're dissapointed. Well, this was not the case when I went to the store. I played both the 60's and 70's version and both were true to there timeframe and wood characteristcs. I put the 70's version on layaway and should have it out in March. I only play gospel music so this definately will fit the bill. I had a Lakland Skyline 55-01 and I believe that the B string on the Lakland is slightly better but this bass will run circles around my Lakland. The other thing that's awesome about this bass as well is the playability. I love low action but I never seen a Fender Jazz get this low of action and not be buzzing all over the place. But I dug in as hard as I could and didn't get anything. This bass will be a winner for years to come. I love Ken's circuit. He's created another winner. I have read other posts saying that the frets needed dressing but that wasn't the case with this bass. I can't wait until March!!

2. Sweet to hear man. I'm really interested in one of those too, probably the 60s. Only problem is no one around me sells them.

How would the KSD's compare to a MTD Heir 5? anyone?

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    they sound great. i am really surprised that they sound so good. they seem to be getting better , as well, with each new batch.
    the 70's ones look so cool !

4. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    i've been digging one of the KSD 60s since i first heard about them. its such a great way to go for a guaranteed high quality J-bass at under boutique cost.

OT: i just turned 21 an hour ago!!! WOO!! :hyper: :bassist:

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    hear that , ladies? he's legal !!!!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DREW !!!
    [​IMG]

6. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    hahahah thanks for b-day nod :D . that roscoe is still kickin like none other!

Add me to the group of waiting for the KSD D_money, i'm putting my order in with a certain dealer, for conversations sake, lets call him...AG :ninja:...and i'm gonna be waiting until January for everything to fall in place. Hopefully both of ours will be fantastic and we'll be rockin out on 'em for years to come! :bassist:

7. that is a gorgeous instrument.

8. funkbass

funkbass

Dec 9, 2004
    Great bass! I had one a while ago that I just loved. However, it was sooo heavy. I had to get rid of it. I've since tried to replace it with a lighter body but no luck.....Good luck to you and I hope your bass is lightweight...

9. So young...with such a sweet bass... :confused: :bawl:

:D

Love the Roscoe (as always)!!!

The KSD basses have certainly caught my attention. I love the block inlays on the 70s model! :cool:

10. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia

yea it was a gift. last thing my grandfather gave me before he died. It's def got a special value not only cause it's a great bass, but it's going to be a family heirlume(sp?) from now on...or i'll be buried with it :).

the block inlays and the slap tone of the 70s model are soooo tempting me away from the 60s model...but i must not let GAS sway me.... :help:

11. d_money

d_money

Jun 13, 2004
    Well I finally got my KSD 70's model off of layaway and it is killer. I love it's tone. That slap tone is killer. Friday when I went to go pay it off that's all that was on my mind all that day and when I got to the store and got it out of the back and plugged it in that just made it so much sweeter. The wait was finally over. I'll also bought a Peavey max preamp, pv 900 poweramp and a peavey 4-ohm 4x10. Can you tell I'm a Peavey fan? However this bass sings so well through Eden and SWR , and Ampeg cabinets as well. You cab run this bass through any setup and it will still be killer!!

12. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    ...WORSE! And I had a guy ready to swap his KSD 70's jazz and a little cash for my Thumb, but he backed out on the deal this morning.
    I almost had her out of my mind, but than you just had to go and post how awesome these basses are! :spit:

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Dmoney, I'm glad to hear about you getting your bass out of layaway. I'm expecting a layaway and first internet ordered bass of mine to get to my home next week. I'll have to let you guys know how it works out. Mine is a SUB5 with a matte pickguard (instead of aluminum.)