1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

KSD 60's Proto-J 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by songwriter21, Nov 15, 2010.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Hey All,

I've read a lot of the posts on here about this bass, and I couldn't DISagree more. Unless the trussrod size is still a mystery, I tried one today at a dealer and it sounded and played wonderfully.

I've played many boutique basses in my years of playing, including ones during a trip to NAMM, and this is one of the growliest sounding Jazzes I've ever heard. Seriously. I tried some Stevie Wonder tunes out, and Nate Watts sounded aggressive! The neck was a little chunky, the weight didn't bother me, and the frets were pretty damn good for a CHINESE-made bass. The neck pocket was perfectly tight, everything looked and felt solid, the pickups were lined up spot-on with the poles and the preamp sounded great and full of muscle, and that muscle also yielded a powerful pick tone. The harmonics were really alive, too. I did notice that a lot of haters have tried or owned the swamp ash version. S.A. does sound noticeably different than alder, which is what I tried. S.A. is way too "mid-scooped" for me, and alder, by nature, has more of a mid "bump" with a good dose of upper-mid growl.

Maybe KSD has done their homework in recent years, because this one sounded really, really, good. Jesus, the sound reminded me of a Lull M24 5-string I tried in Anaheim....

2. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    I had one, and just sold it .:oops:

I found the metric tools just a little too loose.......even though logic tells you a overseas made bass should have a metric tool.
    That said, I found that a standard american sized wrench fit the best?

I love the bass. Best active 5 string 35" scale bass I've played.
    The build is VERY solid and the tone is great.
    Low action with minimal buzz. Slightly heavy overall, but not too bad.
    A friend of mine found one and said it was better than the Lakland he was hoping to buy.

I'm only selling mine because I had a chance to trade it, and another bass for a Warwick Thumb 5 NT. :)

3. I just reciently picked up one of these in a trade I did with another TB'er. It is the 70's Ash version. I have always wanted one of these and it is a fantastic bass. The bass is stock and from what I have read on here is alot of people change the preamp and pickups. My feeling on this is the preamp and pickups sound really good. I love the slap tone and it also has a great fingerstyle tone. To me it is not as noisey as some say, In fact I shielded the pickup and preamp cavitys to discourage any noise. Also, the truss rod works perfectly (one of the first things I checked). After I set it up it has some of the lowest action I have ever played on a bass. Here are some pictures...
    004-1.
    008-1.
    013-1.