Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

KSD 70's V4 .vs. Fender Marcus Miller

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by needmoney, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Opinions? The KSD is cheaper and I prefer the looks, and I've read it can nail the 70's J Tone. So I'm kefuddled. Which shall it be?

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I'd get the Marcus Miller in Australia because if you ever need to move it you will get so much more of your investment back. The KSD is probably a very good bass but its made in Korea and there have been varying reports of quality. I have owned two Marcus Miller IV's and the Japanese factory sure knows how to put together a winning Fender.

THe only change I would make to the Miller is swap out the preamp with an OBP-1. There's not much wrong with the Miller preamp but the Aguilar is the bomb for that bass.

3. well considering my main is a ksd 70's 5er im gonna say the KSD, but i havent played a marcus fender as long as i have my ksd.....if you like satin necks and dont mind a heavy bass the KSD is da bomb...ill take a few vids or something if ya want some samples....

4. BUmpety

5. I tried both when I was looking for a new jazz in the Bass Gallery (UK). I much prefered the Marcus Miller, it had a full tone with lots of aggression. The KSD seemed really weedy, a very thin tone. Bear mind that this is my opinion based only on half an hour's shop playing time! :)

6. just outta curiusity, are you basing that opinion of the ksd's tone on the active or passive circuit?, because once you hit that active, whoa baby, its sub city, i mean, i only boost the bass by 10% and its so phat its like starring in supersize me

7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The KSD is a great value for the money. I think the neck on the Marcus miller is much better and the hardware is definitely better. However, for the money the KSD is a great bass and it does nail the 70's sound.

8. Jaycephas

Jaycephas Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Waxhaw, NC
    Ditto the + reviews on the KSD. I found a used 705 (5-string) that had an after-market brass nut. It has an insane amount of sustain and it nails the 70's Fender sound with the pre-amp set flat. Boosting the B/T adds huge bottom and top sizzle. Put lighter strings on this bass and it's slap city.

I liked the Miller 4 alot and almost pulled the trigger on it. Both have that maple neck with the pearloid inlays...very nice. I just like the more traditional control plate on the KSD more.