KSD fretless 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cheezewiz, Jun 9, 2005.

1. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I posted this over at the Pit earlier, and thought I'd share it here....

OK...my KSD fretless 4 (pictured above!) arrived a little bit ago. Here is a brief, very initial review. I've been keeping my eye out for a fretless I could afford, basically just to goof around with, since I'm definitely not of the Brunelli/Shaw mold that is comfortable gigging with one! Dude had his outrageously low priced KSD sale, so I jumped.

The box arrived so I ran it to my room, and unpacked quickly. Fuggin Dude. He foam peanuted me to DEATH. I'll get ya back fugger!

The construction fit and finish are first rate. This bass looks and feels much better than I expected it to. It's a really nice looking burst with a great looking tort guard. I'm not sure what "ebanol" consists of, but the fingerboard feels really nice. The bass balances nice, and my one pet peeve about the KSDs, the ugly headstock, doesn't look near as bad in person as it does in pics. The setup was nicely done...just where I like it. I would put the craftsmanship on this bass on par with a Lakland Skyline. It seems to be THAT good.

I played it unplugged for a few minutes. It was nice and resonant, and you could tell it had mwahh to spare. Something felt and looked wrong though...ah yes...purple silks..those AWFUL Ken Smith rounds. That simply wouldn't do. I had a set of TI flats set aside for the occasion, and several minutes later, she was ready to go. I plugged her in, and immediately pulled the volume knob "out" to go to passive mode. I played her for a while, and it sounds GOOD. Like I said, I'm a fretless novice, but the lines made it easy for me to play fairly well in tune up and down the neck. The neck feels just like a nice jazz bass should. Almost the perfect size and shape for me.
    After a few minutes of noodling in passive, I thought..ok...here's where its gonna sound like a cheap bass...lets go to active mode. I pushed the knob back down and tried her out. I was pleasantly surprised. Im my experience, preamps in cheaper basses often have a tinny quality to them. It always seems like it only boosts extremes....that is...ultra highs and ultra lows. This preamp isn't that way. It's very musical without harsh highs or ultra boominess.
    It is a bit counterintuitive though. The bass/and treble boosts are on a stack pot. I'm used to the treble control being on top, and the bass on the bottom. This bass has that reversed. However, since this is the only active bass in my very small aresenal, it won't take long to get used to that. It sounds REALLY good to my ears in passive mode with the balance rolled half way towards the bridge pickup, so I assume if I do get brave enough to gig with this one, thats where the controls will reside.

Again..I've only played this bass around an hour. Initially, it seems like a REALLY nice piece and WELL worth what Dude was blowing them out at. I think he has one fretted one left. I'm telling you, if you need a backup jazz bass, or are just graduating to intermediate basses, JUMP ON IT!

I could see getting hooked on this fretless thing. Anyone got a 70s fretless P
    with the maple board they wanna move cheap?
    Edit/Delete Message
  2. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Sweet. I'm waiting on my 70's 5 stringer I snagged from him.

Talk about sweet deals.
  3. radi8

Feb 10, 2004

I was back-and-forth between the KSDF4 and Lakland 44-01 fretless.
    I chose the Lakland.