1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

KSD... lesson learned!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You might have seen my previous posts about my KSD Proto J.
    Unfortunately there was no happy ending.After all the tweaking I did with it, I adjusted the trussrod one too many times.It had a very poor fit at the nut to begin with I should have returned it before I started messing with it.It never came with a wrench and I unsuccessfully tried to get the correct size from the dealer and also the Importer Brooklyn Gear.
    It seemed to be neither metric nor American,So I went with the closest size and it worked for a while.
    Now the inside of the allen screw is rounded off and no more adjusting is possible.
    I tried to get a new nut from Brooklyn Gear... multiple e-mails and messages...no response.
    Bass Specialties in Philadelphia, where I bought the bass was absolutely no help either.Ken Smith does not even want to have anything to do with the product.He totally blew me off earlier when I had a question about the preamp and pickup locations.
    Fortunately the bass is set up well right now and I don't want to mess with it and a luthier in my town also did not want to touch it.
    I can't sell it as it is so I'll keep it for bar gigs where i would not want to take my more valuable basses.
    People notice the proto J because it looks like a Sadowsky or a Lull but there were so many things I had to do to the bass before it was nice.In hindsight, it was not worth it.I spent a lot of money and now I have a bass that can't be repaired.
    So if you are thinking about getting a Proto J ....don't!

2. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I agree to a point..

I have the same issue on my bass but it was that way from a trade, I got turned off when my $279 Squier Deluxe Active Jazz 5 has the exact same parts down to a tee. Also the necks fit in the pockets of each..

So I made a KSquierD and put the 5 string Fretless KSD neck on my Squier Deluxe Active 5 body and sold the rest..

So I cant adjust my neck either so im in the same boat as you.. Dont feel bad..

3. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    So, let me get this straight –

1. You knowingly and intentionally use the wrong size Allen wrench on your truss rod.
    2. You do this repeatedly, until you strip the nut.
    3. You complain that the store who sold you the bass is of no help, as though it's their fault that you knowingly voided your own warranty.
    4. Then you complain because you get no help from Ken Smith – a man who does not manufacture, but only helped design, the instrument you knowingly abused. This is the equivalent of complaining that BMW didn't help you with a Bongo that you messed up.
    I am sorry for your instrument woes, but you yourself are entirely responsible for them. In tech support, this is referred to as a problem "between the keyboard and the chair".

If there is any "lesson learned" in this misadventure, I sincerely hope that it is "don't try to force a nut with the wrong size Allen wrench".

4. jaypbass

jaypbass

Jun 29, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I learned my lesson with KSDs, thats why i sold it n bought a Lakland... :D

5. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Is that american for "stupid user error"?

6. Just to make it clear.I am not an idiot.I was told iby the dealer to use 4mm wrench.I got several brand new ones and I tried metric and even some that I had left from my british car days.4mm was the closest and That's what I ended up using.Carefully I might add.It was NEVER a snug enough fit but nothing else got me a tighter fit for the nut.The Nut material was relatively soft.The nut in the neck cavity was put in crooked , off center and it looked like really poor workmanship.On top of that it took lots of torque to get it to turn.
    I had no choice but to adjust the neck because the bass played terribly when I got it.
    I do know how to set up a bass, have done it many times over the last 30 years.I knew this was a problem waiting to happen.Of all the basses I've owned( and there were lots of them)I have never had a bass with such a poorly installed trussrod.I'm not trying to get my money back from anybody, I'm just passing on my experiences.

7. basske

basske

Oct 18, 2005
    Menen BelGiuM
    +1;)

8. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    This makes no sense at all the OP has a non-functional truss rod, got no help from anyone, tried to do the best he could with what he had and its HIS fault?? Thats bull, he didn't mess it up, it was already meessed up the minute it was equipped with a non-functioning truss rod that wouldn't accept universal or metric allen keys, and other posters have chimed in stating the same issues with this particular model. Sorry but your reasoning seems to be way off base, the OP in my opinion got the short end of the stick. You mentioned he knowingly voided his own warranty, were?, there should have been a set of allen wrenches that come with this instrument as well as an adjustment manual, any bass I have ever bought outsid my customs built ones ALL have this.

9. This thead is is going to the Hall of Fame.

[​IMG]

10. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Just out of curiosity, have any of you tried putting a new nut on the truss?

I'll remember to save the money and buy the squire, BTW.

11. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    if the retailer puts no effort into selling you a functional instrument, i'd doubt that they'd help in any recovery post sale.

why you'd buy an unplayable bass is beyond me!

why Ken Smith wouldn't even reply at least directing you to the proper source is beyond me!

iirc KSD has had a buyer beware label for some time now (at least in my neck of the woods......hahaha no pun intended!)...

pls dont tell me you paid full price for an instrument that wasn't playable from first touch?!!!

its a cookie cutter bass.... id understand putting some work into a "one of a kind"... but these are a dime a dozen...no?

there was a report that just came out regarding placebo medication costing more then other placebo meds.... the patiants felt the more expensive one worked better..... $6oo-$9oo for a cookie cutter.... same components as $300 instrument (passive).... beyond me!

12. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Like I said earlier when I got my KSD in trade it has the same issue apparently from the original buyer the nut was rounded off.. I luckily had the ability to adjust it but its pretty much useless

Its not the OPs fault that the nut is made of shotty metal and strips ultra easy..

This bass is just cheap in my eyes, alot of cost cutting and a fancy name doesnt make it good.

Brooklyn Gear didnt return 6 of my emails either with a question on the item, and its not the first time or tenth that I read about there shady customer service.

They bought a name, and are riding it to the bank..

Its a $1000 Squier.. Same parts, but the Squier has better build and customer service.

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The catch is that a real $1,000 Squier would probably be a very nice bass!:D

14. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    quite the poor business decision my Mr. Smith.

15. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    And that was the very moment the tools should've been put down and the bass returned to the store, at this point there was a manufacturing fault. After using the wrong wrench and stripping the nut it becomes a user fault and an invalidated warranty. Very simple.

16. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    What your not seeing or reading apparently..

Is the OP allen keys but it doesnt fit the nut cause its made of cheaper alloy.. Its a production fault.

Now he should of returned it but im guessing since no one can get in touch with Brooklyn Gear how is he to get a RA#

So he took it upon himself with if im stuck with it and im not going to fly out to NY I mys well try to get it playable approach and ultimately just like mine the truss rod nut stripped.

Its only partially his fault. If they would provide a ounce of customer service and answer a email then he probably would of sent it back from what im reading..

Everyone is so quick to say you dont know what your doing, I hear it here all the time.. Its a cheaper korean made bass with a fancy name to attract people into thinking there going to grab some of that Ken Smith mojo at a fraction of the cost. Marketing 101 someone aced that class.

17. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The store(s) were of no assistance. He tried.

18. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    If it's not metric, and not standard, what could it possibly be?

In my experience, a good luthier can get virtually any truss rod nut to turn.

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Not really. They came to him with cash in hand for his name and design thoughts.

20. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    No, I think I read it correctly

The right allen key fits the nut, the wrong allen key is close.

Edit -> You just don't mess about with something that was made with a fault, very simple. If the store weren't answering emails you call them. If they don't answer the phone you leave a voicemail telling them you're going to take them to court. You don't invalidate a warranty you know you're going to need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.