Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

KSD Proto 70's J 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by embellisher, Apr 2, 2005.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am looking for a possibly affordable solution in my quest for a wide spaced 5 string that sounds like my Geddy Lee.

So, guys who have experience with this bass, tell me about it.

Does it sound like a stock Geddy Lee Jazz?

How good is the B string?

How is the fit & finish?

How is the fretwork?

Is the bridge pickup in that 70's position, a little closer to the bridge?

How 'thick and full' does the D and G string sound when popped? Does this bass get that Marcus Miller slap tone?

How good are the pickups and preamp? I don't mind single coil hum, as long as the electronics are quiet while both pickups are full on.

How does the passive mode sound?

Thanks!

2. embellisher

bump

Come on, I know a lot of you guys have at least played one, and I think there are a few people here that own one.

3. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I want to play one...but I haven't so I can't help you. I just want to join the thread for info.

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Jeff, you already have my comments, I want to watch this thread, I am curious what players will say. The last one that left here went to a NY player who plays Fodera, he emailed back to say he loved it! I'm just not sure what constitutes "thin'" to your ears.
    How are your hands? the necks are chunky.. but they SOUND chunky, which to me is a good thing.

5. Hey Jeff,
    I owned a 4-string KSD 70's Jazz for a while, and I played one of the 5-strings for a few minutes. As Adrian said, the neck is chunky. It's definitely the 70's neck profile, much thicker than the neck on a Geddy Lee Jazz. The B string struck me as better than average. The fit, finish and fretwork on the 4-string I had were excellent. Probably the tightest neck pocket I've seen on a production bass. And, it sounds killer in passive mode. I mean, absolutely growlin'. Tonewise, I almost liked it better than my blue Reverend, which is my holy grail for passive tone. I thought the KSD sounded 500% better in passive mode than with the preamp engaged. But, I'm not a fan of active basses, so take that with a grain or five of salt.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  7. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've owned mine for a while now and while I'm no whiz kid on the bass I'll give you my gut reactions.

I bought mine based almost solely on its unbelievable, to me, slap tone in the store through Ampeg, SWR and GK rig. It sounded great through all three and no matter what you did, even with the bass boosted all the way and treble way down, when you popped you heard that great snap. It's not a thick bass, I actually had a hard time finding strings that gave me an acceptable compromise between warmth and grind. I've settled on DR Lowriders but I'm still not really happy with it. I'm a midrange freak and this bass just doesn't have the mids I need, but I need a LOT of mids it's just my sound, but it sounds very good with the band when I use it. Cuts through, is both felt and heard and has a nice singing quality to it. I too think it sounds better passive but you lose a lot of volume and the ability to alter your tone on the bass itself. The preamp is a good one in some respects: it never distorts, never sounds horribly artificial but is also never altogether "invisible" if you know what I mean. The B string is pretty good, tight and clear and able to be slapped with ease all day long. If you have beefy hands like me the neck won't bother you much, especially if you're already used to other 35" scale necks.

The construction of mine is excellent and the bass is pretty hardy. It still has no dings, dents or scratches, except on the pickguard, even after 7 months of ownership and I bought it used!

I can't tell you for sure if it nails MM's tone or not because I've honestly never heard his stuff... odd to say but I've been meaning to go out and buy some of his work. It's a good solid workhorse type bass with a nice pallette of tones, I can imagine especially with flats to add a little more bottom end, and it plays nicely. I think you'd like it and it'd make a nice beater that can be played, abused and used anywhere and continue to perform for you daily.

8. embellisher

Thanks for the heads up, James. That is a great deal. I'm sure it will be gone before I am ready to buy.

Everybody, thanks for the comments so far. Keep them coming.