1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

KSD Proto J or Sire V7?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alexlocurto, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Well, I think I want an active jazz bass. Don't we all? I have the opportunity to pick up a used KSD Proto J for $350, which is tempting. But I've heard literally nothing but good things about the new Sire V7 basses. Does anyone have experience with both and would be willing to lend some wisdom? I like the absurd amount of control you have with the Sire preamp, so I am leaning in that direction, but I could go either way at the moment. Thanks!

2. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm right there with you. I'm in the market for another five string Jazz bass. I'm leaning towards the 5 string version, as I can't find anything that can touch it for the money. The active/passive capability along with a 18 volt system looks very tempting. I saw the KSD, and while they are a good value I think you will want the V7.

3. fenjazz

fenjazz Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Portand, OR
    Sire for the preamp alone. It's been a while since I played a KSD, but I wasn't very impressed with the tone.

bholder likes this.
  4. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Try them both and pick the one that feels right.

You can always change the sound.

5. While trying them would normally be my first instinct, neither one is nearby.

6. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I would get the Sire.... The KSD is heavier......

bholder likes this.
  7. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    After careful considerations of Swiss Army Bass suggestions in that thread (and paying attention to budget), Im getting ready to pull the trigger on a V7 5-String probably in the next day or so....Got one question: What are the knobs functions and what is the function of the switch? Anybody know?

wykkidbass2269 likes this.
  8. Knobs are active treble, mid and bass, with a pickup pan and volume. Switch toggles between active and passive. I believe either active mid or treble knob also doubles as a passive tone when in passive mode, but I'm not positive as to which one it is.

SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  9. fenjazz

Dec 5, 2007
    Portand, OR
    All controls are nicely detailed here:

NBD - Sire Marcus Miller V7 Alder-4 AWH *AUDIO*

SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  10. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    thank you both

11. fenjazz

Dec 5, 2007
    Portand, OR
    Tribute to my man John Entwistle. Plus I'm too lazy to go into the setting and change it. ;)

alexlocurto likes this.
  12. Jackie Clark

Jackie Clark

Oct 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Jackie Clark endorses Sire guitars, EBS amps and pedals,Evidence Audio,iGiG cases,Sire Marcus Miller V& jazz basses
    I've owned both and as someone stated earlier,the Sire is better in my opinion because of the preamp! My KSD was very noisy and didn't have that pure jazz tone...I've played other KSD basses and the noisy preamp was always the issue for me.

Here's a clip of my bass recorded direct into my interface without any added plugins or EQ.

13. Jackie Clark

Jackie Clark

Oct 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Jackie Clark endorses Sire guitars, EBS amps and pedals,Evidence Audio,iGiG cases,Sire Marcus Miller V& jazz basses
    Btw,I'm an artist with Sire but I also recommend you try all options available...

14. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I've not played a Sire, but I've also never been quite impressed with the KSD's I've tried. If it were my choice to make I'd go Sire.

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Nice. Did you tune the bass down?

16. Jackie Clark

Jackie Clark

Oct 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Thanks bro! Yeah I'm down to Eb.

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'd go with the Sire. KSD made a good attempt at trying to crack the market but their basses were never up to par, in my honest opinion. Noisy preamps and extremely heavy bodies.

18. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'm trying to lay low on these threads, I'll just say one thing the Sire preamp isn't is noisy. Quieter than my '95 USA Fender P Deluxe. As quiet or quieter than the Aggie OBP-3, which was my favorite up until Sire. ;)

Jackie Clark and jim nolte like this.
  19. snarebear

snarebear

Apr 19, 2012
    The KSD Jazz I played was junk. Noisy, poor finish, a lot of little niggling things that turned me off on them. As much as I hate to admit it, MIM Fender Jazz s were superior by far. Havn t played a Sire yet, but it has to be better.

Jackie Clark likes this.